A bit of progress on lining off the planking to post. This went easier than I was expecting, once I read up on how it’s done. Basically the sheer line (top edge of the boat hull, bottom edge here) is fixed and you want plank lines that are mostly parallel but a bit wider near the middle than in the ends. Other than that the top planks are similar in width and get wider toward the bottom of the boat and I knew that this boat is planked with 7 planks. From there its just trial and error u...
And at some point you take a deep breath and say “I’ve figured out everything I can on dry land”. The sail needs a lot of reconfiguration. We eventually got something that worked better than in this picture, although it’s got quite a weather helm in that setup. I think we’ll end up going to a fairly traditional lateen rig shortly. The sloped transom makes the rudder funky, I’ll probably build something to put the rudder gudgeons in a more vertical...
Charlene painted the boat this week. Today it was hotter than the hinges of Hades, but I went out and tried to put a couple of coats of varnish on the inside. I’m going to have to wait a while for it to cure hard so I can sand it down and try again, that first coat was soaking in and drying super fast, so looks like crap, but… I got to the “okay, gonna try to test rig this thing” stage, and I think we’ve got enough of the hardware set and enough water sealed tha...
Blessed are the queue jumpers, for they fill a 3 day weekend and leave our hands covered in glue: Charlene and I started construction on the hull this weekend, in luan and redwood. We think we’re building a fairly robust hull, but we are going to glass the seams, and we’ll probably end up building a few extra ribs to brace the bottom a little more robustly. We got the sides cut and fitted, and the bottom glued on but not yet trimmed. There’ll be a bunch of scrapin...
3 hours. 2 sheets of cheap CDX 3/8” plywood, 10 1×2s, 2 2×2s, a sheet of plastic, 2 tubes of caulk, a bunch of deck screws, a few nails, some rope, some ductape, a few other details. Hand tools only, except for battery powered drill/drivers. And then you race. An amazing day out at the end of April in Bodega Bay here in Sonoma County in Northern California, I highly recommend coming out for it, either as a contestant (and this two-year winner is thinking about ways to appro...
On the one hand, you could suggest that I’ve been inspired by Napaman's Stevenson Weekender build, and his Puddle Duck Racer build. On the other hand, you could blame the Bodega Bay Fish Fest Wooden Boat Challenge, which I got roped in to last year because the Sonoma County Woodworker's Association sponsored a team, we won, and this year Tom Segura and I worked with a team of teenagers who managed to compete and get around the course without sinking (with only a little input from us)...
I got it built and ready for the finish. The customer requested that we do a two tone color. They really want it exactly like the saw on our web site (see example). I tweaked the colors a little bit but for the most part it is standard Minwax colors (see color chart). I used Red Chestnut and Golden Pecan. When using stain you can not tape off. There is not way to get a crisp line. You’ll always have some bleeding. I just had to stain parts as separate pieces and assemble them ...
I have the stripping done. So, I thought I’d share some pics. The pics get better. I promise. I had a difficult time making the transition from vertical to horizontal across the stem. It felt to me like the stem form was getting in the way. When I referred back to Mr. Gilpatrick’s book He stated that this may happen and if so do some trimming. There we go! The transition was still a bit of a bear. Three hands and plenty of screws required...
Well after a busy first 3 weeks in the build I had a slow two weeks since Thanksgiving weekend ended… But today—-I finished off the hull by putting on the bow and transom pieces (boat ends). Seemed to take me forever but its done…and now once the epoxy firms up I will start working inside the boat…with only one more week of school….WOOT I cant wait! This is the finished shot…you can see my other sail boat build in the back… This ...
Well I was feeling a little guilty about a 4th blog in less then 24 hours…but then I checked my e-mail and had 12 new project posts from Lazy Larry (Degoose)... So here it is…THE BOTTOM is glued and screwed…and went pretty well…Sarah helped me which made it all possible… First I had to let the bottom bend over night…the ends had the toughest time flexing all the way down…so I was a bit worried the bow end would not go down… Then I reali...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 218 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries