Okay…as promised from blog #9 ...here are some building shots… Since building the Boat Tent ...I was able to finish up the keel…I trued the rest of the top edge…more of the bottom edge and cleaned up the stem so it looks a lot better. I also went back and sanded down the excess epoxy on the boat bottom…figuring it will be easier now then when the boat is officially down on the keel…little less time on the knees down the road. However the most importa...
Stevenson Projects Weekender Sailboat Build #1: So it begins...wood arrives tomorrow...the quest to build a sailboat...
Ok…here I go…this is the official blog to begin what I hope will be a great quest—-to build a little sail boat by Stevenson Projects called “The Weekender”. I have been planning for this for many months and today was a big day. Here is a little bit of the path I have taken to get to this point in case you ever want build a boat. I just got back from the wood supplier and tomorrow I will have $1300 worth of wood delivered to my house. Its a bit daunting and ...
The First Garboard Plank The first plank is on! It has been the most difficult part of the build so far. I’ve gone through 4 planks to get it right. For my fellow LJers who may be wondering, I’ve put in a few hours here and there, but I’ve taken quite a bit of time away from the project since the holidays. I’m exciting to be focused again. The challenge with this is getting the plank flush and tight into the rabbit along the keel. It’s a tough plank bec...
Well after a busy first 3 weeks in the build I had a slow two weeks since Thanksgiving weekend ended… But today—-I finished off the hull by putting on the bow and transom pieces (boat ends). Seemed to take me forever but its done…and now once the epoxy firms up I will start working inside the boat…with only one more week of school….WOOT I cant wait! This is the finished shot…you can see my other sail boat build in the back… This ...
I have the stripping done. So, I thought I’d share some pics. The pics get better. I promise. I had a difficult time making the transition from vertical to horizontal across the stem. It felt to me like the stem form was getting in the way. When I referred back to Mr. Gilpatrick’s book He stated that this may happen and if so do some trimming. There we go! The transition was still a bit of a bear. Three hands and plenty of screws required...
Participating in the marking gauge swap has been a lot of fun and has pushed me to keep making more costom/specialized tools. This tool has been on my to do list for a long time and I sure wish I had made it a long time ago. Often times special making gates are quickly made from plywood or whatever for a one time job and then tossed so it was hard at first to take the longer time to build this but it is worth the effort if you have a boat project in front of you. I found the inspiration in an...
Well I was feeling a little guilty about a 4th blog in less then 24 hours…but then I checked my e-mail and had 12 new project posts from Lazy Larry (Degoose)... So here it is…THE BOTTOM is glued and screwed…and went pretty well…Sarah helped me which made it all possible… First I had to let the bottom bend over night…the ends had the toughest time flexing all the way down…so I was a bit worried the bow end would not go down… Then I reali...
Just a few more steps left before I can start putting the planking on the sides. Cutting in the Rabbet Between Stem and Keel The next crucial step is cutting in the rabbet between the Stem and Keel. This was done entirely by hand with a few sharp chisels. I used a small piece of wood (3”x1”x3/8”) as a template, representing the plank, to ensure a smooth transition as I cut away the rabbet. Here is the before picture: And the after picture. This was done on both ...
19 foot Offshore Power Dory Build #8: Getting the boat ready for paint, Painting, flipping the boat over.
I am at 200 hours on this build and the boat weighs 835 lbs. After putting all the epoxy on the boat it had to be sanded. Epoxy is not self leveling. It orange peels very badly. I sanded for two days. Epoxy is very hard after it cures. After sanding I washed the boat with water. Then washed with lacquer thinner. After cleaning the boat I taped off the sides to get ready for paint. Then I painted the bottom with five very thin coats of Interlux VC Performance Epoxy with Tefl...
Stevenson Projects Weekender Sailboat Build #9: MAN CAVE II: The Boat House...project moves forward...
Well…its about time, right? Sorry I have not updated the blog in 6 months…but the truth is I did not do too much on the boat for about 4 months… BUT…a little more activity in the last month…starting with the “Boat House” we put together over Thanksgiving week… I had had the boat sitting out on the patio for a few months in the sun…which is not real good…and then with the rain I had put a tarp over it…unfortunately the bo...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1558 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1583 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 275 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries