Making the sail was an ideal time to overly complicate and over think the process… But I resisted my instinctive need to make things hard and just went with Shorty’s recommended measures and used two tape measures to define the shape of the sail. I just swung the ends of the tapes in their respective arcs until both ends met and voila a leg o mutton sail. Dead easy and fast. Shorty recommends duct taping along these lines and then cut along the tape. My first thought was to la...
The partner and step line up nicely. I had a bit of a surprise when I discovered the mast was a bit thicker further up and would not fit through the partner. A bit of work with the block plane and all was good. There is a bit of reinforcing yet for the mast but it looks pretty good. I have the brace pieces cut, they just need to be painted and then mounted. I bored out the holes for the pintle bar. I ran into a bit of an obstacle in that I had not really factored in the bul...
Well no pictures this evening. I managed to get a little shop time in, worked on the leeboard mounts, and the step for the mast. Those are ready for gluing in. I temporarily fixed my ROS but the bottom popped out again so I guess it’s time to shop for a new sander. I still have the old B&D half sheet sander of my Dad’s which is just shy of 412 years old and it still works, why can’t a three or four year old sander that spent much of the time in a drawer keep working ...
Days when I do stuff like this I move a whole lot more carefully and really plan out any work with sharp spinny bits. Once I remedied the goof I managed to finish my mast step. A buddy of mine came over after work to check out the progress on 816 and of course we talked about all manner of sailing things. Phil had some really good advice about strengthening my mast/locker bulkhead and not add too much weight. We also had a really good discussion about rigging 816, and I think he ...
816 isn’t really ready for this step but I had to see what it would look like with the mast:-) I am actually glad I did this because I identified a significant flaw in my build. There is significant torque applied to the step and parter so with the way I’ve mounted the partner on the 3/8 bulkhead it is clearly too weak to sustain the kinds of forces that it needs to. I will need to re-work the bulkhead and step. I left the bulkhead free floating at base, in retrospect th...
Well made a bit of progress today. Glued this down a couple of evenings ago and could finish mounting the locker bulkhead this evening. I’ve added the lid for the locker. I’m not impressed with the fit of the lid but I figure I’m spending too much time on it fiddling and I might just fiddle myself into winter without getting 816 wet. I’m telling myself its for ventilation so the locker doesn’t get musty:-) I did deliberately leave a bit of...
I couldn’t find any brushes and I don’t like shopping on Sunday so I thought instead of painting I’d just work on the mast mount. Now I’d initially had this really complicated mount in my head (a dark and scary place at the best of times:-) but after a bit of advice, from shipwright, on how strong the step would need to be I simplified my plan. So I squared up a piece of Douglas Fir I think I got from my Dad before evening leaving the College, so its a well t...
As I closed in the bouyancy tanks I wasn’t really happy with the fit of the lid. I’d allowed a little wiggle room in the width of the top to line everything up nicely (I’m learning not to just rely on measuring:-) so I’d expected some over lap. The funny part is when I got things nailed down the overlap wasn’t all on one side. One the starboard side I’d nailed the inboard bulkhead first for the whole length and then pushed and pulled to fit the top to th...
Well this is the last view inside the tanks as they are now sealed. I will flip it over tomorrow and epoxy the hull, bow and transom and then its ready to float. It is a bit heavier than I thought so I am going to have to rig up some kind of ramp to get it on my roof rack. I may yet be forced into buying a small trailer. This is how I left hull 816 this evening. After the hull is coated I will tape and seal the tops of the tanks but I am just about out of epoxy so I want to get...
So I am having a pretty lazy morning and while I got up early thus morning I kinda just puttered the morning away (looking at potential boat plans can consume a lot of time:-) . I finally got out to the shop, the coffee pot was empty anyway, and decided to fillet the lower starboard joint and then while hull 816 was on its side I coated the interior of both bouyancy tanks and anything else that was horizontal in this orientation. On Paul’s (shipwright) suggestion I wetted out the fabr...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1452 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1476 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 235 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- shipwright - 195 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries