Entry on 1/18/2016: Watching some Disney this weekend I have come up with a name. She will be called, “Tiger Lily”! After getting some quotes from the lumber yard it occurred to me that, since I can’t get 4×10’s, I will have to scarf more than one joint to get the planking and board lengths for the 16.5 footer. This will add significant extra cost with a lot of waste. I decided to go to the 15’ version and, even though I’m losing about two feet o...
Entry on 1/15/2016: Hi everyone! I am an avid steelhead fisherman in Southeast Michigan. The rivers down here are a little difficult to drift a float like I would prefer. It’s hard to get into a good hole due to lots of overgrowth on the banks and the majority of the river being private property. My solution is the Power-Drifter from Glen-L. It will allow me to slow my travel down the river, hotshot, fly fish, or drift with a spinning combo or centerpin. I will also get some good ...
Well…I was not going to post this…but since it has been so long…maybe it was time to share the good news…after a few tough years we bought a new house.. and.. there is lots of building room! My shop space doubled…and i can SEE …because my electrical works…before I ran my shop from an extension cord connected to the house 30 feet away… This is my first woodworking in my new shop…it will allow me to easily move th...
Hello fellow “woodies” I am not near the craftsman many of you likely are, but I am hopeful this community can help me find a solution to my project that I can apply. Effectively, I am building teak deck grates for an antique 1956 22’ shepherd runabout boat. the grates are going to be laid over top of the existing marine plywood subfloor and are purely for looks. I have 3/4” spacing (as well as thickness) on the grates surrounded by 2 1/2” border. Eve...
I have finished the boat!! It was launched this week. The boat did well on it’s sea trails, floated well and did not take on any water. I have 814 Hours in the build and the boat weighs 1749 lbs. But to not get to far ahead of the story, Since my last entry, I have trimmed the boat in White Oak stained to red mahogany, and finished with three coats of Sikkens Cetol Marine varnish. I made shaker style doors for the battery locker, the entrance to the cabin and a storage area under...
I have 558 hours in this build and the boat weighs 1421 lbs. It has been over a month since I updated the blog. I have been working on finishing the topsides of the boat to get it ready to paint. In my last blog I had all the topside built except for the splash well. So my next job was to mix up thickened epoxy and fill screw holes and seams. While I was working on sanding thickened epoxy I removed the pilot house inside panels and my wife glassed them on saw horses. ...
I am at 408 hours on this build and the boat weighs 1,237 lbs. I have been working on closing up the decks and getting everything ready to glass the topsides and paint. Progress seems slow but as I look over the pictures for this segment I see that a lot did get done. Conduits have been run to panel areas in the cabin. I installed two bilge pumps, one on each side of the keelson that separates the bilge area. Each pump is spliced into the power feeds using butt splices...
I am at 324 Hours on this build and the boat weighs 1150 lbs. I have made good progress the last few weeks. I will say again this is much harder that building furniture. Every piece that goes on the Boat is either curved or at a compound angle. Each piece has to be hand fit. Many trips into the boat and back to the saws. All of the cabin roof supports are installed and the interior cabin wall is in. All of the interior cabin walls are in and wiring for the cabin lights is install...
I have 266 hours in the build so far, and the boat weighs 982 lbs. Since my last update. I have added a coat Epoxied to the inside of the boat and two coats of Rustoleum Marine paint. This wore me out. The epoxy can’t be sprayed so you have to use brushes and rollers. Working on the inside is much harder on the old body, I don’t work well on these old knee replacements. The next task is to get the foredeck and the gunwales installed. Here I have installed a support at fr...
19 foot Offshore Power Dory Build #8: Getting the boat ready for paint, Painting, flipping the boat over.
I am at 200 hours on this build and the boat weighs 835 lbs. After putting all the epoxy on the boat it had to be sanded. Epoxy is not self leveling. It orange peels very badly. I sanded for two days. Epoxy is very hard after it cures. After sanding I washed the boat with water. Then washed with lacquer thinner. After cleaning the boat I taped off the sides to get ready for paint. Then I painted the bottom with five very thin coats of Interlux VC Performance Epoxy with Tefl...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries