After building the mock up, here is the parts list: Case:(2) sides – ¾” maple/plywood combo (46 ½ x 7 ½”)(1) top – ¾” plywood (13×7 ½”)(1) bottom – ¾” plywood (13×7 ½”)(1) shelf – ¾ plywood (13×5 ¼”)(1) back – ¼” plywood (46 ½ x 14 ½”) Ironing Board:(1) ironing board – ¾” MDF (42 ¼ x 12”) the last 13” are tapered down to a 4 1/2” circle (see pic below with cottage cheese container)(1) board support – ¾” MDF (12×11 ½”) rounded – see pic below(1) slid...
So I know I need to work out the sliding mechanism. 3 goals here: 1. Make sure the components fit into the space I’m allocating for it.2. Ensure all the pieces work and it is easy to slide up and down.3. Make sure the ironing board is level in the down position. Here are all the components (minus the door which I will build as part of the Murphy bed complex). I built a wall (16” stud mockup) and starting assembling the pieces I had cut from my measurements in post #1...
"Fold up" ironing board (reverse engineering) #1: measuring the model and planning any modifications
So as part of a Murphy bed build, I wanted to incorporate a fold up (or hide away) ironing board. I have seen these at Lowes and Home Deport starting off about $168. They don’t look that hard to build and I sure think I could save some money AND incorporate some better materials. Step 1: Take my tape measure to Lowes and jot down some critical measurements. Ok, I forgot paper. Let’s see, what can I find in my glove box? Perfect, my State Farm insurance cards, I can use the ...
OK, so it all started when I was trying to write a blog to post as a tutorial for people starting out with SketchUp. halfway into the blog, I decided that a video would probably be easier for me, and easier for others. so I stopped the blog, and started capturing the video. Halfway through the capture I figured that I probably will need to go a little more basic and a bit more in detail in order to be more clear about certain things that I do – so I stopped the video. Then it hit me ...
Disclaimer: This blog follows my Magen David Board that is already finished and posted here At this point (see previous post for the methodology I chose to take for this project) , I realized that my plan for mass production, and gluing the long strips to one another to make the geometry would cause more trouble, and decided to cross cut them all to their final thickness instead, and in a way changed my work order to a ‘one of’ setup, albeit it would have been better if I did t...
A couple of years ago I built a standing floor cabinet foolishly out of all poplar (not true poplar, e.g. black poplar (Populus nigra) or white poplar (Populus alba), but tulip poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera), the stuff you (and I) get from Home Depot). It cost about $800+ in wood, and over $1k all together. I should have used plywood! I jointed the big pile of boards and ripped their other sides to get them all identical in width. This left me with a whole pile of extremely thin edge-str...
We’ve been using the new top on top of our old table until I can finish the base. Over the last few months, the top has warped a bit, and was obviously out of alignment with the breadboard ends. While watching an old New Yankee Workshop online, I realized one of the things I did to cause this. I selected the boards for their aesthetic value, trying to match the grain to make it look like one solid piece of wood 38” wide. I neglected to alternate the boards’ growth rings,...
I’ve had several LJ’s request pics of the jig I made for the wavy Larry board. I’ve snapped a few pics and sent PM’s with bits and pieces of info individually. Mikethetermite asked for some info a few days ago and I decided to bit the bullet and take the time to do it as a blog. Here goes- On my band saw table I have a sacrificial board- 3/4” plywood squared and framed to the table. The back frame piece unscrews and swings up to put the board on and off the ta...
It looks like we’ll be running down to SoCal at the end of February to visit family & clients. We’ll take advantage of the opportunity to hit the Gamble House Joinery Tour, hit Disneyland while the kids are at school, and most importantly: Darrell Peart’s Greene & Greene Details I class at the William Ng School of Woodworking! I noticed that Marc Spagnoula (Woodwhisperer) is teaching classes there (i.e. Hall Brothers Frame, etc.). I’m really jazzed because...
While I’m ammonia fuming another project, I figured I’d make progress on this one. I pulled a WoodWhisperer and threw away the tape measure. I milled the ends to the proper thickness (which also gave me some nice mahogany veneer). I can’t tell you how lovely working mahogany is, compared to oak. Then while the stock was still one long piece, I used the table saw blade to make the dado that fits the tongue on the top (Darrell calls it the “core”). I achieved ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1263 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1285 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 369 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 160 entries
- stefang - 148 entries