My experience prior to this huge project was I had only turned two bowls plus I performed a test to see if I could turn a lidded bowl with a scrap piece of Douglas Fir. Those two bowls I turned was nearly a year ago and after I had taken a Woodcraft lidded box class at my local store. The instruction was great. Getting personal attention let me know how delicate cuts are needed at times. We were given instructions on how to sharpen the turning chisels, but that skill was not acquired until ...
I turned two bowls today. Both were from bubinga blocks. I was working on the third bowl when a catch occurred. That is when I became lucky and unlucky at the very same time. I was turning the inside of the bloodwood bowl. Things were going well, but then all of sudden the bowl became loose in the four jaw chuck. That was caused by a catch. I had sharpened my 1/2” bowl gouge prior to turning and the bowl was secure in the chuck. It is hard to say just what went wrong. Obviously, ...
I partially turned the bloodwood block today. I did that after attempting to fix the exposed end grain on the ambrosia maple bowl. For it I applied some wood filler. Then I sent it through several grits of sandpaper. i also made a small bottle of 1 pound cut of Zinsser sanding sealer by pouring an equal amount of denatured alcohol. With bowl I buffed on some carnauba wax. This photo was taken after I rubbed on sanding sealer and before buffying on the wax. This image is the blood...
All right! Last stretch this week. We will have pro picture next week and I will post them for you guys as well of a video of the mechanism in action. But for now! Lets talk about french polish While finishing the fine sanding I have been pushing forward the pore filling and the polishing of the tray so it could be sent to LA for the leather. Then I started with the pore-filling of the all box. The top first with the pore filling of the outside and inside every other da...
Hello, I had to stop working on the boxes for 2 weeks as we had classes here at the American School of French Marquetry. Great group But I am back to work on them now. First of all, all the banding is done.They are composed on 2 bone and an ebony string inlay plus an ebony band. The edges of the top are veneered with ebony first Then I cut with a veneer saw the inside marquetry to size and instal the banding The same is done for the sides It is...
I wanted to have a specific color combination: . Yellow field, Black letters and Red trim. . I chose Yellowheart, Wenge and Bloodwood. I had never worked with any of these before. While shopping, I found some sycamore for the inside of the box. Here is a shot of the bloodwood trim strips. Here is a view of the sycamore ready to be glued to the mdf core. You can see the plastic wrap under the pieces. That is folded over the top. And clamped with a backing board. Once...
All right! Last time I was done with the marquetry and I had done the mastic on them. I glued them down with Hide Glue and cleaned with called water the paper that hold the pieces from the front with Hot Hide Glue. When all the paper is gone with just cold water, I use one of those green scrubs to clean of the rest of the glue. As there is never a project without at least one f**k up, one of my marquetry panel did slide during veneering. Fortunately, the use of...
After almost a month away in Europe, London and France, I am back and working on the boxes again. It was really nice to go back home as I haven’t been able to do so for 4 years. It was also nice to be back, through away the jacket and sweater, an put on the flip flops. Well, regarding the boxes. When I came back I put the already cut bone leaves in green dye and while waiting to feel up the holes in the marquetry, I started working on the inside of the boxes....
After seeing a few of my other veneer works, I was approached to make a Red Sox wall hanging for someone to give as a gift. Seeing as how I am still looking for more experience on this marquetry kick I’m on, I decided to go for it. Now, I’m not a fan of Baseball period, so don’t let this logo make you think I’m a Red Sox fan. We decided on a rather large size of 24”x24” overall, which will be more beneficial to me for the small pieces that needed cutting...
Finally got started on a box im making for my wifes mother’s ashes, i spent 9 hours on a sunday with spalted maple and my scroll saw and every evening the following week with a set of palm carving chisles and alot of patience, time to break grain on the ziricota, terrifying prospect on account of the price of the lumber, but…. Sooooooo pretty,It was originally my intention to dovetail the corners on it as ive never done them before by hand or otherwise and view this sk...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1815 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1840 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 222 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- bandit571 - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries