I have wanted to try to make one of these ornaments ever since I first saw them. They are so interesting, and everyone asks- “how did you do that”? I had trouble understanding a lot of the how-to descriptions, and even the videos were hard to follow. I found this one tutorial that I thought was good, and after about the 10th read-through I thought I’d grasped the concept.” http://www.ptwoodturners.org/Tips%20and%20Handouts/INSIDE-OUT.pdfOne of the first things I did wa...
Hello everyone. This is my very first attempt at a blog, ever. If you are reading this then something in the title has captured your interest. I am attempting an experiment with epoxy (EnviroTex) that I haven’t seen before so I guess you would say I’m the pioneer. The stuff I’m using is called EnviroTex lite pour on high gloss finish. It’s a two part mixture of epoxy resin & polyamine hardener (equal parts of both). If you have never tried this, this stuff is amazi...
Hello to anyone that is actually following along. I now have the epoxy poured, added some red & white glitter with some little stars, hearts & flowers. I noticed that most of the items sank to the bottom, I’ll have to make up for this during the final coat. I covered the bottom with packing tape so it wouldn’t just run through. During the tape removal I noticed It is still rather sticky. So take note: more drying time for the bottom to dry. Top of project after the epox...
First let me apologize for not posting yesterday. I had a few thing come up & couldn’t get around to posting. Anyway here is the final post of this series before I post It as a completed project. I finished putting on the last coat of side two, with some added decorative glitter. It turned out pretty good. The last coat of epoxy on side two. I sanded side one again to remove some of the epoxy that seams to always run underneath after you pour. I used 400 grit to smooth all...
These are the initial designs for 2 Hope chest for my daughters for this christmas. Main wood will be walnut, highlights are either bloodwood or purpleheart depending on the daughter. This is taken from a design from Woodsmith #32. You can see a finished version finished by strube1369 A couple key differences that I am going to be doing different. I will be mitering the corners of the box, and using dovetail keys of the contrasting wood(it is not shown in the design). I also pla...
To begin with, I want to thank you all for the encouraging comments on the new ornaments. It really feels nice to have so many cheerleaders when I am making a new project. It makes all the hard work so much worth it, knowing that people appreciate what I am doing. I spent the bulk of yesterday working on cutting out the remaining six pieces, and I began the finishing process. The cutting took probably about three hours and then I carefully sanded the pieces. I was a little co...
This is a quick up date of my progress. I cut out the butterfly on my band saw, then hand sanded it to round out the edges to a 400 grit. Of course small things do break & this was no exception. The antennas of my butterfly broke, so I am in the process of fixing that. First I tried some tight bond2, it didn’t stay. Next & finally, CA glue with a mixture of blood wood dust. I’m letting it dry now, then a little more sanding & I’ll be ready for the next coat of ep...
Hello again, As I mentioned in my last post, when I got the next coat of epoxy put on I would post it, so here it is. This will be short, I promise. This side was still missing the glitter from when I first poured the epoxy because it sank to the bottom. So, I let it dry and applied another coat of epoxy mixed with glitter so it would match. Tomorrow I will coat this whole side with epoxy to include the edges. It should give the glitter some depth and a nice flood coat will finish bringing ou...
Well guys, as promised, here is side 1 of the finished “Epoxy Experiment” project I’ve been working on. After fixing the antennas & some sanding, this is the finished first side of my project. I added some spots of green & blue glitter mixed with epoxy to give it a little extra color. Note: You have to keep a close eye on it at first after pouring the epoxy, it is on the runny side. Keep an eye out for drips & wipe them off the bottom, remember this is going to b...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries