Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'blood wood'

  • Advertise with us
View SisQMark's profile

"Through Lay" #4: Epoxy Experiment

02-17-2012 01:48 AM by SisQMark | 13 comments »

Hello again, As I mentioned in my last post, when I got the next coat of epoxy put on I would post it, so here it is. This will be short, I promise. This side was still missing the glitter from when I first poured the epoxy because it sank to the bottom. So, I let it dry and applied another coat of epoxy mixed with glitter so it would match. Tomorrow I will coat this whole side with epoxy to include the edges. It should give the glitter some depth and a nice flood coat will finish bringing ou...

Read this entry »

View depictureboy's profile

2 Blanket Chests for my daughters #1: Initial Designs

05-29-2009 06:32 PM by depictureboy | 8 comments »

These are the initial designs for 2 Hope chest for my daughters for this christmas. Main wood will be walnut, highlights are either bloodwood or purpleheart depending on the daughter. This is taken from a design from Woodsmith #32. You can see a finished version finished by strube1369 A couple key differences that I am going to be doing different. I will be mitering the corners of the box, and using dovetail keys of the contrasting wood(it is not shown in the design). I also pla...

Read this entry »

View SisQMark's profile

"Through Lay" #1: My epoxy experiment

02-15-2012 08:27 PM by SisQMark | 7 comments »

Hello everyone. This is my very first attempt at a blog, ever. If you are reading this then something in the title has captured your interest. I am attempting an experiment with epoxy (EnviroTex) that I haven’t seen before so I guess you would say I’m the pioneer. The stuff I’m using is called EnviroTex lite pour on high gloss finish. It’s a two part mixture of epoxy resin & polyamine hardener (equal parts of both). If you have never tried this, this stuff is amazi...

Read this entry »

View Donna Menke's profile

Inside-Out Ornament Tutorial #1: How to Make an Inside-Out Ornament

01-10-2012 12:32 AM by Donna Menke | 6 comments »

I have wanted to try to make one of these ornaments ever since I first saw them. They are so interesting, and everyone asks- “how did you do that”? I had trouble understanding a lot of the how-to descriptions, and even the videos were hard to follow. I found this one tutorial that I thought was good, and after about the 10th read-through I thought I’d grasped the concept.” of the first things I did wa...

Read this entry »

View SisQMark's profile

"Through Lay" #5: My Epoxy Experiment

02-17-2012 10:07 PM by SisQMark | 6 comments »

Well guys, as promised, here is side 1 of the finished “Epoxy Experiment” project I’ve been working on. After fixing the antennas & some sanding, this is the finished first side of my project. I added some spots of green & blue glitter mixed with epoxy to give it a little extra color. Note: You have to keep a close eye on it at first after pouring the epoxy, it is on the runny side. Keep an eye out for drips & wipe them off the bottom, remember this is going to b...

Read this entry »

View Sheila Landry (scrollgirl)'s profile

My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1438: Six More Sleigh Ornaments

11-05-2014 12:34 PM by Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) | 5 comments »

To begin with, I want to thank you all for the encouraging comments on the new ornaments. It really feels nice to have so many cheerleaders when I am making a new project. It makes all the hard work so much worth it, knowing that people appreciate what I am doing. I spent the bulk of yesterday working on cutting out the remaining six pieces, and I began the finishing  process. The cutting took probably about three hours and then I carefully sanded the pieces.  I was a little co...

Read this entry »

View SisQMark's profile

"Through Lay" #2: Epoxy Experiment

02-15-2012 09:08 PM by SisQMark | 4 comments »

Hello to anyone that is actually following along. I now have the epoxy poured, added some red & white glitter with some little stars, hearts & flowers. I noticed that most of the items sank to the bottom, I’ll have to make up for this during the final coat. I covered the bottom with packing tape so it wouldn’t just run through. During the tape removal I noticed It is still rather sticky. So take note: more drying time for the bottom to dry. Top of project after the epox...

Read this entry »

View SisQMark's profile

"Through Lay" #3: Epoxy Experiment

02-16-2012 09:17 PM by SisQMark | 4 comments »

This is a quick up date of my progress. I cut out the butterfly on my band saw, then hand sanded it to round out the edges to a 400 grit. Of course small things do break & this was no exception. The antennas of my butterfly broke, so I am in the process of fixing that. First I tried some tight bond2, it didn’t stay. Next & finally, CA glue with a mixture of blood wood dust. I’m letting it dry now, then a little more sanding & I’ll be ready for the next coat of ep...

Read this entry »

View SisQMark's profile

"Through Lay" #6: Final entry of "My Epoxy Experiment"

02-20-2012 02:33 AM by SisQMark | 4 comments »

First let me apologize for not posting yesterday. I had a few thing come up & couldn’t get around to posting. Anyway here is the final post of this series before I post It as a completed project. I finished putting on the last coat of side two, with some added decorative glitter. It turned out pretty good. The last coat of epoxy on side two. I sanded side one again to remove some of the epoxy that seams to always run underneath after you pour. I used 400 grit to smooth all...

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics