I really am starting to enjoy this Intarsia art, and since this is new to me, I thought I would start logging everything into a blog. I have always admired and been a little intimidated by the Art of Intarsia, I think that I thought only somebody that has been behind a scroll saw for many years would have the talent to do it. As being I’ve only been using a scroll saw for a little over a year, I figured it was simply above my abilities. I finally decided to just give it a shot, after...
Hello everyone. If this has been covered before, my apologies but hey, maybe it is time for a refresher on the subject or a chance for new members to respond. I recently was thinking of all the diverse skill and knowledge along with all the participation on this site. I got to thinking about why all us woodworkers have joined and stayed. Then I got to thinking it would be interesting to hear how everyone found out about Lumber Jocks in the first place. I actually stumbled on to LJs a co...
This is part of III of the blog series where the vise is disassembled and cleaned. Disassembly:I would like to take the vise apart, however it looks like I have to take a compromise. I decided to disassemble the vise as much possible. Once the pin at the rear of the vise was tapped out, I was able to tap the rear guide plate out. Once that is out, the back jaw assembly slides out easily. Now you could clearly see the threaded shoe. I also noticed there is a spring on the fr...
Second Year Carpentry was pretty great. We are in the last 2 months of schooling then we have 5 weeks of work placement, then we graduate! First things we got working on, the first day! Was framing up sheds. What we did with these taught skills like framing, roofing (last year we just used trusses, this year we actually framed the roof) vinyl siding, asphalt shingling, wood siding, sidewall shingling (shakes) and gable, hip and intersecting roofing. The sheds we build are sold for 1000$ or...
So, the first year has gone by, and infact, most of my second year at NSCC has also gone by. The first year was alright, its hard to remember everything i’ve learned since then, but I know its been a lot. Not just about carpentry or woodworking but I’ve really grown as a person since I left grade school. Our projects in First Year were relatively simple, first being some “task sheets” where we had to do specific things with specific tools, to build our skills with t...
See HERE for completed project Recently, I bought a Grizzly bandsaw. One of the reasons I decided to buy a bandsaw was to re-saw lumber for use on a scroll saw. The scroll saw was my first ‘tool’ that I bought, and before, I was limited to purchased plywoods for my scroll saw cuts. I was quite surprised at how much wood can be obtained from a single length of wood when re-sawn. It will definitely expand my creativity for such projects. Outlined is the first such project ...
This shows the medallion getting glued in place. I decided to do a loose fit between the medallion and lid on this one due to the fact that I just couldn keep the bloodwood from chipping out even with a new cutter and climb cutting. I have done this before, filling the gap with black epoxy for a shadow line effect. I am using spacers to even out the gap. Before fitting the medallion I had ran a router around the inside of the box and cut a 3/8” x 3/8” rabbit for the lid to ...
I cut the lid a little oversize and made a jig to route out for the maple center panel (medallion). And after. I always make a test piece to size the real insert to. And here is the maple insert prior to rounding the corners which I do by eye on a disc sander and final fit with a sanding block a little at a time. Stay tuned
I carefully laid out the compartments on a sheet of plywood to be sure it would give the customer the room required. I then marked my cuts out for the body on the only piece of bloodwood I had left. I cut the board to the width of all four sides and slotted a kerf for the bottom. Here is a test piece of 1/4” ply. I mitered the sides and then cut slots for splines to add strength and dress it up a little. I used maple and wenge for the splines. This is how the spline...
This blog will show progress on an ArtBox I am building for a client. In September I received an email from a gentleman named Sean asking if I was interested in making a custom box to display his wrist watch collection. I said I typically dont do commission work for several reasons, but if he wanted to send me details I would look it over before deciding.We worked out the bugs and I agreed to make a box to hold eight watches. The color of the wood and the grain were important as well as...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries