My daughter has 2 friends who are expecting. One of them she has been friends with forever. It started when my daughter asked me if I would make her friend a porch swing for her. I agreed as long as she helped. I got a chance to spend some time doing woodworking with my daughter, but she wasn’t much help. She didn’t take much interest, but it was worth a try. I’ve been making stuff for her friends ever since. When my daughter recently asked her friend what she wanted for her...
I have a one-man handyman service, and a customer of mine just gave me an old cedar blanket chest (trunk?). It’s about 50 years old, and the lady just didn’t want it in her house anymore. So, I brought it home. She told me that it was cedar-lined, but I discovered that it’s actually solid 3/4” cedar. Made by Lane. It’s not very attractive as is, but I’m thinking about what I can do with it. I could just give it way, or I could break it apart and mak...
I put 4 coats of flat dove white paint on the outside and 4 coats of satin wipe-on poly on the inside, except for the cedar on the bottom which is unfinished. I think the flat paint was a bad idea. It seems to get dirty if I even look at it funny. Some day I will probably use this chest as a test run for doing some stencil work so maybe that will cover up or blend in some of the dirt. Overall view: View with the lid open: View showing the cedar lining: I also used two of these ...
Well, after taking all my rough cut boards and ripping them to final width and crosscutting them to final length on the tablesaw, and spending what seemed like hours (because it probably was) laying out all the cuts on all the pieces … I fired up my new mortising router jig … And cut my first mortises in all the stiles of the chest! I then went over to the tablesaw with a Dado head and started to mill my 1st tenons and all the grooves for the solid panels: Things went ...
Hey fellow LJ’s. You all need to check out T-Chisel’s site. It’s full of ideas, techniques and videos. One of the “Projects” T-chisel posted was of an 17th Century blanket chest. It inspired me to knock some rust off the shop, sort through a pile of old pine and start thinking about how I could use his idea to build a toy box/blanket chest for my grand daughter. So the saga began. Sure enough I had plenty of wood to choose from. After a few hours of sorting, clea...
Well, this will be my 6th active blog. I’m spreading myself a bit thin. My wife and I learned that we are are having another baby in the near future. I decided I want to build something for our latest addition and after a lot of thought, concluded that a toy chest/blanket chest is probably the best choice. It doesn’t need to be done immediately (good since I’ll be busy), it can be used to hold items for the baby, when she is older it can hold toys, and finally it can g...
It’s cold and rainy out and work and grad school are getting in the way so no wood working today. However, I couldn’t take it anymore and I had to at least assemble one side with no glue just to see how it was coming along. Then since the joints held together with just friction I figured I would stick the whole thing together. The side rails are a little loose in their mortises but other than that everything is nice and tight. It needs a bit of work to clean up some of the joi...
Well, it’s Christmas Eve and Mother Nature provided us with some good weather. As such, that meant a day in the FlwoodRats Al Fresco Work Shop (AKA Driveway) working on some more stock for my rendition of T-Chisels Blanket Chest. This one will be a toybox/blanket chest for my Grand Daughter Yvette. Having my table saw on a mobile base really helps. Here are my Jointer and Planer Here is my stock for the raised panels. Today was spent rough milling them to 1-3/8” ...
I’ve learned a lot during this build. For some reason, I decided that it would be easier to form the feet after I had glued all 4 sides together. I don’t know why I thought that but it turns out not to be true and in hindsight I realize that if I had done something to screw up a foot it would have been a pain to fix the problem. Here is one side of the foot formed And now the other I also put in the supports for the bottom and installed some 1/2” ply for the b...
After the top dried I trimmed it to final length and width and set it on the chest. I can’t seem to get the camera set right to get a representative photo. It doesn’t really look right if I used a flash and turning the flash off doesn’t seem to help much. I need to practice more. I put 3 coats of wipe-on poly on the inside of the chest and on the bottom of the lid. I also cut and fit some cedar panels for the bottom. All that is left to do is paint the outs...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1196 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 66 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1218 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 332 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries