Found a Eucalyptus log and planed down a branch Pen blank? Nice spalting, I was stoked to find that.
Here is a video showing how I rough turn wood blanks for lidded boxes on the lathe from wet wood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klYnaje3vqQ&feature=share&list=UUU_N6BtSICI7yMMvubPFSlw Sorry, the embed isn’t working for this video but the link works.
This blog will show how I make a 12” bowl blank from 1 BF of lumber. Cut a 12”x12”x3/4” square and draw an X from corner to corner to find the middle. Using a compass draw a circle in the middle of the board the size you want the bottom of the bowl to be. In this case around 4”. Draw concentric circles spaced the thickness of the board (in this case 3/4”) Drill 1/8” holes at 45 degrees on the 4 inner circles to insert a scroll saw blad...
This past Sunday I decided to saw a Y-shaped Ficus log in half and get some bowl blanks out of it. I couldn’t fit the 14” section under my band saw’s 12” vertical clearance, so I just cut the first half, up to the Y split. Then I spent about 20-30 minutes sawing through the Y with my 24” carpenter saw. Good workout! I could fit a 10-7/8” circle on each log in the Y area, which I wanted to try turning for the twists in grain and color. I had to...
Today I had the good fortune of cutting up a bunch of American Tulip Tree bowl blanks. Called various things around here, such as Tulip Poplar, Tulipwood, Tulip Maple, this is supposed to be some good bowl turning material. It’s really a Magnolia family tree – I think the biggest of the Magnolias, and it ‘s called Liriodendron tulipfera. I’ve really admired these trees when I’ve come across them around town for the past few years. I saw a craiglist post on the wood last week, didn’t get...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1412 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 89 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 230 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 196 entries
- shipwright - 187 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 174 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries