Found a Eucalyptus log and planed down a branch Pen blank? Nice spalting, I was stoked to find that.
Here is a video showing how I rough turn wood blanks for lidded boxes on the lathe from wet wood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klYnaje3vqQ&feature=share&list=UUU_N6BtSICI7yMMvubPFSlw Sorry, the embed isn’t working for this video but the link works.
This blog will show how I make a 12” bowl blank from 1 BF of lumber. Cut a 12”x12”x3/4” square and draw an X from corner to corner to find the middle. Using a compass draw a circle in the middle of the board the size you want the bottom of the bowl to be. In this case around 4”. Draw concentric circles spaced the thickness of the board (in this case 3/4”) Drill 1/8” holes at 45 degrees on the 4 inner circles to insert a scroll saw blad...
This past Sunday I decided to saw a Y-shaped Ficus log in half and get some bowl blanks out of it. I couldn’t fit the 14” section under my band saw’s 12” vertical clearance, so I just cut the first half, up to the Y split. Then I spent about 20-30 minutes sawing through the Y with my 24” carpenter saw. Good workout! I could fit a 10-7/8” circle on each log in the Y area, which I wanted to try turning for the twists in grain and color. I had to...
Today I had the good fortune of cutting up a bunch of American Tulip Tree bowl blanks. Called various things around here, such as Tulip Poplar, Tulipwood, Tulip Maple, this is supposed to be some good bowl turning material. It’s really a Magnolia family tree – I think the biggest of the Magnolias, and it ‘s called Liriodendron tulipfera. I’ve really admired these trees when I’ve come across them around town for the past few years. I saw a craiglist post on the wood last week, didn’t get...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1768 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 109 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Toy costruction - 93 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1793 entries
- dbhost - 430 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 226 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Dave Rutan - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 199 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries