So, my task today was to cut up a piece of maple I bought the other day to make the gap stop and get it glued up in the clamps and then go over to family for Easter dinner. I set up the band saw and set about resawing the board into two halves. It went fine for the first 3/4 of the board then it was binding the blade and was not tracking straight, and not wanting to cut. I made a couple of adjustments, everything else looked fine in the setup. It just wouldn’t cut and was binding hor...
I put in an eleven hour day yesterday on this thing, the work was really kind of fun compared to the tedious work of digging out mortises of the day before. I’ve never tried the draw bore method of locking a mortise and tenon together. I didn’t even use clamps. Well this morning I just had to get the tops to fit on the tenons, so after trimming back a couple of mortise surfaces they both fit down snugly, a very sweet fit. As a bonus, the sides of the tops ended up flush wit...
I was out in the shop/garage at 8am today and didn’t finish until 7pm. I don’t recall taking a lunch break, or any break for that matter, the day just flew by. But I did get a while lot done. Yesterday was all fitting the mortises and tenons. That took all of yesterday and I left it dry fitted together. This morning I had five things to do before I could drill holes for the draw bore joints. I ran the legs across the table saw to chamfer the bottom edges, check the leg v...
Creating a pair of rocking chair arms Rocking Chair arms
Whew, my workweek is finally over and now I can have some fun. I’ve been thinking all week about today, particularly what I still need to get to push this project along. I needed a jig to cut the mortises, and I was looking at pattern bits and I came away with an education. Top bearing straight cut pattern bits are expensive. I didn’t want to spend that much so I went to woodcraft last week when I bought my last pieces of wood for the leg and rail, and picked up a guide bushing fr...
Finally got some pictures taken of the cutting process so here is the promised blog .This is the is the cutter I use ( CMT box joint cutter set ) This is the sliding jig riding on the fence cheek ,glued and screwed together and nice and square to the fence with no play which is very imported.The cutter installed and tilted to 45 DEG. and a insert just for this cutting operation.Notice the pencil mark on the insert which indicates the setting of the fence for the first cut. The indexing...
Had a surprise today, more funds available in the budget than I thought so I went to the lumber yard and got the wood that I needed. Got it all milled up and the front rail is now in the clamps. Due to my clamp shortage, I’ll have to glue up the last leg after I get home from work tomorrow night. But that’s good because it’ll set me up perfect for next weekend’s activities. I picked up a 2 – 5/8” forstner bit for the plastic bearing ring, a 4” fors...
Today was a light day for me as I’m running out of things I can do until I get more wood, so today I cut out the side profile of the chop. I had this piece of thin ply laying around so I ripped it down to size and put my alignment marks on it, then drew the shoulder using a french curve template. Using the centerline I was able to do both sides. I clamped it on edge and sanded the template profile smooth then traced both sides on the chop. I cut a bunch ...
Yesterday I picked up a 1 – 1/4” forester bit and a 3/8” x 10” long brad point bit at Woodcraft. The forstner bit is for drilling the hole through the chop and leg for the leg vise. The bit is too short to make it all of the way through the leg so I also need to get a forstner bit extension. The 3/8” bit is for the pins that hang the Criss-Cross on the chop and leg. The chop is 9” wide so this was barely able to make it through. I didn’t want to hassl...
I needed an upgrade in my shop for my Lutherie tools and I didn’t want to get those pricy steel tool box to go in my woodworking environment. So I sat down at my drawing table and tried to come up with something to accommodate my need, at a reasonable price, and made of wood. I made this tool chest with only 4 boards of 8’x6”x1” of black Walnut. I always love the Idea of not using screws and/or nails, therefore I made a Dovetail construction. The entire construction was completed in 4 mont...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1728 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1753 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries