View on YouTube I met with David Marks while he was still in the early stages of his greatest woodturning project (yet!). He showed my the specialized lathe tools he uses for very large hollow vessel turnings and some of his woodturning tricks! He also explained his amazing methods for storing, drying and stabilizing wood for his wood turning projects. The scale of this woodturning project is amazing! The blank for this turning project weighed 400 pounds! Even the tools he use...
Once the tree had been halved, it was time to get it loaded and transported back to the shed where it can begin the drying process….all 18 months of it!! Being a big lug of wood, it wasn’t going to be as easy as lifting it onto the tractor and driving away. So a bit of thinking out side of the box was needed. We have a tripod frame and hand winch that we use on the farm to hoist up cattle that have gone lame from either calving or illness. The winch along with some well placed ...
Here you will see the steps in the glue up of the weave strips… The strips are ready for assembly.. After applying glue to the various surfaces, I assemble the 5 pieces in order and secure with blue painters tape.. this is easy to remove later… While just using tape can be enough, I like to clamp between two cauls to ensure that the width of the piece remains constant along the entire length.. and it aids by applying even pressure on the strips being glued..As each set is...
I cut a circle in Purple heart and then wanted to inlay it into a piece of Tasmanian blackwood.To gauge the circle need to to be cut I fitted the PH on the pin in the table and moved the router to just inside the outer edge. I then locked the X and Y axis.Drilled a 6 mm hole in the centre of the blackwood and fitted it on the pin in the table. Turned on the router plunged it and rotated the blank.Then.. Pushed out the centre and inserted the PH.. fit like a glove… wonderful moment as i...
I picked up another box of 20 exotic wood turning blanks from Rockler. It’s been on a big sale for a long while now, and I had free shipping going, too. I have an idea for possibly turning it into some saleable items, and running the numbers, it was a very good deal. One of the woods it includes, of which I have now 4 1.5”×1.5”×12” pieces is African Blackwood. The tree, – Dalbergia melanoxylon, found primarily in Tanzania and Mozambique, though native to, and ...
Welcome.Where do I start, at the beginning I suppose, I was born at an …..sorry not that far back!Ok let do this. [ I will be using imperial measurements throughout this blog..mainly ‘cause all wood working should be in imperial not metric! IMHO anyway] To start :Select the timber you will be making this here crazy board out of. For me this was Silver Ash and Tassie Blackwood as they contrast and compliment each other. I also decide to usesome purple heart as an accent. No...
Here are a few Christmas/birthday presents just completed.The dilema is which one would you keep for yourself (if any)please let me know what you thinkYou can pass your vote 1 to 10 or 11 if you would not keep any.The wood is all from Australian eucalypt burls. Pens are either blackwood, myrtle or camphor laurel. The bases are either blackwood or myrtle.The finish is wipe on poly on pens & bases. Number 1Myrtle Number 2Myrtle Number 3Myrtle Number 4Myrtle Number 5Myrtle ...
Time to turn my attention to the back. The locking mortise and tenon had been designed and it was now time to cut the mortises in the sides of the back. They were marked thru the holes in the sides and tape placed on the back to give the ends of the mortises. Using the horizontal router table. A view from the side. All of the wedge key tenons were made long so they are now being cut to the appropriate length minus 1/8” to allow for the back to move. And cut the wedge tenons to the co...
One thing nice about not being allowed to use glue, No glue clean up and you can pre-finish all of the parts before assembly. On my finishing blog I wrote about using Pumice and Rottenstone as a wood filler, I thought I’d try something different on this cabinet. I used my private blend Danish Oil (1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil BLO, 1/3 varnish, and 1/3 Mineral Spirits). I squirted it on the boards and used a 120 grit Random Orbital Sander (ROS) to sand the oil and sanding dust. In doing that I wa...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1794 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1819 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries