A Scrimshaw Art Journey: A Lumberjock’s “Short Version” of the Techniques for Decorating a Powder Horn by: Mark A. DeCouwww.decoustudio.com (This writing, photos, and artwork are protected by copyright by M.A. DeCou 2007-2010, all rights reserved, please ask permission before using any part or component.) =============================== UPDATE 9-25-2012:This past summer I had four students at the John C. Campbell Folk School class on Powder Horn Building and Scr...
Birth of a Powder Horn 101: A Lumberjock’s “Short Version” to Crafting A Powder Horn By Mark A. DeCou (All photos, text, and design is protected by copyright November 12, 2007) www.decoustudio.com =============================== UPDATE 9-25-2012:This past summer I had four students at the John C. Campbell Folk School class on Powder Horn Building and Scrimshaw Artwork. We had a good time together and accomplished some great work. Click the Widget Picture to go ...
Share the Love This modern sofa table was built for donation to a charity fundraising auction. This slideshow was played to generate more interest in the table by highlighting the construction process. Generating more interest generates more money for the charity. The auction was a bit disappointing overall, but my table brought in the more money than anything else. Funds raised at the auction help support programs for people with developmental disabilities. The winning bidder ask...
Another Step Closer… Tonight, I sprayed the final coat of lacquer and painted the groove in the door black. Tomorrow I will hang the door first thing in the morning. The overnight dry time will allow the finish to cure sufficiently so that it may be handled with a hard finish. I installed the small door a few days ago and it went smoothly. The small door only weighs 48 lbs. The big one is 108 lbs. and keep in mind it is a hollow core door. Want More? Go to this li...
Exciting Progress.. I am making some great progress on my closet project. I currently have the copper rods in a machine shop where the parts are being fabricated. The clients and I had talked about changing the lights to better illuminate the fine work that I have produced. While the metal work is being done I decided to go ahead and install the new lights. WOW! Man-OH-Man! Does it ever look fantastic! Here is the closet with the old lights: Here is the closet with the n...
I drink a lot of tea. And I don’t like the bagged stuff, I like fresh tea, carefully brewed. Call me anal. Or picky, or what have you. So I buy a lot of tea from Upton Tea I buy it in these small tins. Now I’ve got a stack of these just sitting on the counter, so I figured something a little more organized…. I picked up the plans for the Apothecary Cabinet from plansnow, and downloaded the PDF. These seem pretty good, and I like the apothecary cabinet design, but t...
Finished! Well it’s been a long journey and it did not end without one extra push. I finished installing the copper handles Monday by 11:30. There was a couple of scratches but I was certain I could buff them out. This is a skill that goes with the territory. I worked on the finish for the next six hours and I could not get the finish to blend. How to Remove a Scratch- After exhausting all other options this is what I resorted to today: Yes you are seeing it correctly...
This method is based on reaction between tanins and iron ionts. I used walnut wood, iron wool, dust and vinegar at the beginning. After some time I added ferrous sulfate. I found that slow reaction of wood only with iron is the best, but it take a long time. Soaking wood in broth of tea or iron galls and after in ferrous sulfate is quick, but shade of black is little blue. Heartwood is very black, but bad for penetration (sometimes it’s blackened only at the surface). Sapwood is colored...
Success- I installed the big door today with a helping hand. The careful planning paid big dividends in an incredibly smooth and accurate install. Before doing the veneer work, I installed and fitted the doors. The doors were then taken to the shop and finished. The hinges were numbered and went back into the same locations. This meant that the final install required no additional adjustment. This is what I call jobsite theory, and it worked out this time. Getting a handle on it&...
I got some Black Ash with some great figuring. I read that to get the darker figuring to pop out, I should paint the ash with green carfts paint, then strip the paint off, then finish it. Any comments? It seems strange to paint it with GREEN paint to bring out the figuring! I plan to use a rub-on poly to finish it. Any suggestions on how to strip the green paint off? Should I use a chemical stripper, or just sand it, or plane it, or uise a scraper? After all, it is just water-based...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries