Redoing little parts of our house, we decided to do an ebony stained wooden counter top. After removing the counter, the pieces were cut individually. They were all glued on. A 1 1/2”x3/4” piece of pine was nailed to the front edge of the counter to give it a thicker look. Stain was then applied after some sanding and filling in any gaps or holes. When the stain was dried approximately 6 coats of poly were applied and let cured before anything was placed on top. View on YouTube
This method is based on reaction between tanins and iron ionts. I used walnut wood, iron wool, dust and vinegar at the beginning. After some time I added ferrous sulfate. I found that slow reaction of wood only with iron is the best, but it take a long time. Soaking wood in broth of tea or iron galls and after in ferrous sulfate is quick, but shade of black is little blue. Heartwood is very black, but bad for penetration (sometimes it’s blackened only at the surface). Sapwood is colored...
My schoolmate tried one way of ebonising wood which our teacher heard from someone. The essence is carbonisation in linseed oil without access of oxygen. In the proccess water from maple wood was evaporating. The result is still flexible. We think oil replaced water. Gluing is not problem.
Since posting my work on Lumberjocks, I have received a huge number of requests for help and advice on the building of powder horns and doing the scrimshaw artwork to decorate the horn. And, honestly, I can’t really help everyone, as I have to work in the shop myself, so I have accepted an invitation to teach a Powder Horn Building and Scrimshaw Decoration Class at the John Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC. The date will be mid-July in 2012, and it is planned for a five day cla...
Share the Love This modern sofa table was built for donation to a charity fundraising auction. This slideshow was played to generate more interest in the table by highlighting the construction process. Generating more interest generates more money for the charity. The auction was a bit disappointing overall, but my table brought in the more money than anything else. Funds raised at the auction help support programs for people with developmental disabilities. The winning bidder ask...
I’ve put the finish on the train bed. It is just the base color. The rest will be a vinyl similar to what the car wraps are made from. On the base I used a black lacquer undercoater and a flat black lacquer. I’ll do a little bit of assembly on it before it goes to the graphic people. Here are some pictures after the finish: For more building pictures see my Current Projects link at wwbeds.com or poggyskids.com. Watch us build this or see what we are doing live:
Finished! Well it’s been a long journey and it did not end without one extra push. I finished installing the copper handles Monday by 11:30. There was a couple of scratches but I was certain I could buff them out. This is a skill that goes with the territory. I worked on the finish for the next six hours and I could not get the finish to blend. How to Remove a Scratch- After exhausting all other options this is what I resorted to today: Yes you are seeing it correctly...
Another Milestone I am pretty excited to share with you guys today’s progress. I got all of the handle pieces finished! Next I have some touch up on the doors and the final install. I am sure I will have a full day of technical sweating. I had to brush the pieces again on the wire wheel to brighten the finish. I then hung them from the ceiling and wiped them down thoroughly with acetone. This strips any oil from the surface. I sprayed them with an acrylic resin lacquer by Sh...
Getting Closer… Well guys I can hardly stand it! I am getting so close to done on this project and yet there is so much to do. I just want to go home and be with my wife and my dogs so bad. This job has been a nail biter every step of the way. The more I get done, the more work I have at risk if I should screw up. A mistake could cost the equivalent of a good used car – NO KIDDING. If you want to do high-end work, the risk is high too. That is one factor most don’t...
Exciting Progress.. I am making some great progress on my closet project. I currently have the copper rods in a machine shop where the parts are being fabricated. The clients and I had talked about changing the lights to better illuminate the fine work that I have produced. While the metal work is being done I decided to go ahead and install the new lights. WOW! Man-OH-Man! Does it ever look fantastic! Here is the closet with the old lights: Here is the closet with the n...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries