Having the bulk of pieces, cut and sanded, I elected to tape and pre finish most of the components. Finishing large projects is a huge challenge for me as I work in a 3 car garage and can not easily spray stuff. Since I was finishing many large panels, I decided to try applying the clear coat with a floor roller. Since I like their other products, I decided to use a Zinsser water based poly. It worked as well as brushing does, however, the coats go on thick and you need to watch the rol...
I forgot to cover cutting the biscuits for the face frames in the last blog entry. So here we go. Using story stick, I marked the biscuit centers on the face frame styles. And I marked the center of one rail to set up the jig. Then I used a biscuiting jig that I built using plans from Wood Magazine to cut the FF sized biscuit joints for the face frames. Lesson Learned … make sure you have adequate space to cut joinery when you route a profile into a face frame … in ...
I ordered 5 sheets of 3/4” maple ply from Tampa Intercity Lumber (if you are in the area, they are very helpful and carry nice stock). Until recently I did not have a decent table saw (more on that later), so rented shop time from Intercity Lumber and cut down the panels to 15” widths before loading into my Avalanche and heading home. Here are the cut down panels For the face frames, I also purchased 32 bd ft of 1×8” maple, which I then cut down into 1×2...
I left off with the top being glued to some MDF risers. This morning I finish sanded it and put on two coats of lacquer. I will oil the walnut but I didn’t want to Maple any darker so I figured I’d lacquer it so when it’s all built up, the oil wont get into the maple top. Step 5: Finishing the Shelf I ripped the walnut border to length and laid it out to get an idea where to cut the biscuits. The center piece was a very clear piece of face grained walnut, so when I wen...
I know that biscuits do not add ‘real’ value to edge to edge joints (but times it just feels right). What about jointing edge of plywood if you want to make a walnut edge? I’m concerned that the edge grain of the plywood would soak up all the glue and starve the joint? Do any of y’all use biscuits in this condition?
Recently the wire shelves in our closets have started to fall down due to overloading. A normal person might have given away some cloths and re mounted the shelves. An aspiring lumber jock, however, will recognize a chance to rip out everything and rebuild from scratch. So I decided to the take the lessons learned and the designs from my previous closet project and scale it up to a room that is nearly three times the size Basic design is 6 towers and 4 sets of shelves. Each t...
I figured I’d start a blog about a project from start to finish so other readers can follow my progress and hopefully learn from my inevitable mistakes in the process ;-) I also wanted to show readers how to make complex furniture with limited tools and space. So a little about the project: I sold my crappy yet still somewhat pricey plywood and veneer coffee table/end tables a little while ago on Craigslist and have been desperately needing to fill the void. My eventual goal is to...
Ok, I’ve been working on this for about 18 months. A little here and a little there… a piece at a time. It’s finally finished and now I can move on to making instruments. I never built a bench, or anything else – unless you consider that bowl I turned in wood shop 45 years ago? – so there was some learning curve involved. I never: made box joints or drawers, glued up a top, made and installed mortise & tenon’s, installed a vice – let alone two ...
I have undertaken my first solo project without having someone around watching that knows more about making stuff than me – the garage was empty except for me. My wife had requested, about 1 year ago, that I make this bench for the hallway leading to the laundry room that would be a place where we can sit, take off our shoes and have a place to store them. Since I was slow to act, she bought a wicker basket that shoes get thrown in. Finally, I started on this project over Labor day week...
Continuing my progress I decided that the box joint, per the plan, was the way to go. Instead of 5 drawers I did four. I had all 5 cut, but figured one extra big drawer would be more useful than 3 smaller, so I used the biscuit joiner to combine one of the two big ones with one of the small. It saved me from buying more wood and gave me more practice with the joiner. I checked around for plans for a box joint jig and decided that the one from Shopnotes.com (PlansNow) was the better of the ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 86 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 276 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries