I have never been a real believer in the use of biscuits in the glue up of large table tops or wider sections in general. Especially where end grain and long grain must be glued together. However, I have never used them either. I’m very old school and have always defaulted to Mortise and tenon and have often pinned those joints with dowels. It strong, its reliable, if time and proper procedures are used to make the joints properly. That’s the downfall this construction method i...
I’ve made a couple of dowel jigs to use on a table and bench project that I’m making from 2×12 Southern Yellow Pine. One is useful for joining two pieces of 2 by # lumber and the other is for 4×4 lumber. They’re very inexpensive as they are made from a scrap piece of 1” oak and some “steel spacers” from Lowes. Both have proven to be accurate and easy to use. https://youtu.be/lZRZTXYKiJE
Just to give the payoff early, here’s a video, no sound, skip to the last third if you want to see the fold-up action: I like model railroads. When I was a kid, my dad worked with a guy named Bill Kennedy who had the Ramapo Valley Railroad in his basement. It was HO scale, super highly detailed, snaked through several rooms, had walk-around throttles, and was featured in a magazine or two.. Years later I picked up an N scale train to run around the Christmas three, picked up a copy...
Well, I got started on the console by gluing up the boards for the top and the three large brackets. Since I had the lumber on hand and I didn’t want to go buy lumber, I’m gluing together boards to make the thick brackets (Norm of course had stock that thick). I used a planer sled to flatten the boards for the brackets since they are too wide for my jointer. That went pretty well and I was planning to do the same for the wide boards for the top, but it was just too long, heav...
It has been a while since I have been in the shop. Once the rain stopped I need to spend several days catching up with all the outside work that needed to be done. Today I was able to get in the shop and mill up some stock to build my picture frame trim that will go around both of the leaded glass doors to make them 3 inches larger and not loose and proportions. By doing this I will have one door for each side cabinet and will be able to use a normal face frame and maximize the interior sp...
OK, so I “cheated.” I typically assemble face frames with pocket screws. It’s simple, fast and strong enough. Since this face frame is composed of 1” x 3/4” members, pocket screws seemed a bit weak to me—I’d only be able to use a single screw in each member, which would allow it to “spin” somewhat. While this would be minimized greatly after gluing to the carcass, some “twist” could still occur over time. Since the drawers w...
The Day Begins I started the day by marking out and cutting the slots for the biscuits into the inside faces of the sides and back. Following this, I decided to “rehearse” the glue up of the main carcass—the sides, back and bottom front apron. After yesterday's "flip" I have to admit to being a bit apprehensive about this step, but, lessons learned, I was watchful of the sides and never came close to dropping one this time. The green tape you see is there to protect the l...
Fellow LJ’s:I’ve been shopping the net for a biscuit joiner…and need your input. Here’s what I’ve learned so far: - Porter-Cable has the best handle and power switch arrangement, not to mention top quality – and the price to go with it. It’s probably the top of the list (except Festool’s REALLY high-end thang!) - DeWalt is almost the same tool except the t-handle isn’t on the fence, it’s on the motor. But the fence, motor, switch and price are about the same as PC. - ...
Baby Got BackToday we completed our four cabinet boxes’ parts by cutting the groove for the backs. This sounds simple but we had to do a ton of double checking. Plus, I don’t think I mentioned that my biscuit joiner needed a little tune up. After last week’s dry fit, I realized that several of the cabinet rails had slightly miscut biscuits. So we recut 10 rails today. Screwing down the biscuit joiner helped as well. So, on to the tablesaw to cut the groove and trim the...
Making Big BoxesToday’s task: Get joining; the cabinets are to be held together with biscuits. Each cabinet has 30 slots. So I needed to get organized to save a lot of marking time and avoid mistakes. Gettin Jiggy(Alright I used that “joke” twice. Sorry).I started by building a jig to hold the rails along with several storyboards/ spacers to get the biscuits just right. I just mark the spacer and cut directly from that rather than mark each cabinet side. All of the parts ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries