As I sit here and wait for my walnut burl to arrive from UPS. ( My first internet order of lumber, I am a bit nervous.) I thought I would share a quick picture of my new box. I normally don’t share my projects when they are incomplete unless I am doing a blog or need a little advice on how to finish up a design. This time it is simply because I am so excited about it. This is my largest box to date. There is ruler in the picture to show scale. It is sized using the golden rectan...
I’ve been rather busy with life the last couple years, but I’m finally back in the shop and up to no good again! Here’s what I’m up to for anyone who’s interested… A few years back I was conversing with a co-worker and fellow guitar player. Aware I was an amateur woodworker, he suggested I build a guitar. “Luthiery requires special tools and skills…training. Naw, I couldn’t do that,” I said. Google search. Fast forward to la...
I have officially made a clock! It ticks, it tocks, it dings and dongs. I can hear the chimes ringing as I write this update for you. Here’s what I’ve done to be able to call this an actual clock. I’ve added a support to the dado I cut in the sides. This one is for the dial door. You can see the dado for the mechanism support behind it. Here’s a head on shot of the mechanism support too. That all looked fine but I thought that adding a cross piece at the top ...
I am up to the nerve wracking part of this build. I need to put some dados into the sides of the clock, but since both the sides and front/back are angled, the dados need to be angled. I’ve been thinking about how to do this since I started this project. Use a stack dado set and the table saw? Yeah, that would work, but I don’t think the cut will be as precise as I need it to be and the cut would register on the front edge of one side and the back edge of the other side. That...
I am still milling lumber, trying to get everything ready for some joinery. Once I get one side flat, I mark it “Flat”. That just helps me keep track of who’s where as I work the pieces and parts. Here is one of the birdseye maple shelves that I glued up then hand planed one side flat, mostly, and is now ready to be taken down to its final thickness. Sorry this picture is a little blurry but you can see how flat the wood is. Just so you can see the results of my swea...
It’s time to glue up the panels that are needed. I’m making a frame and panel as the back of the clock that will consist of 2 panels stacked on top of each other, held in place by the 3 horizontal rails and 2 vertical stiles. So I’ll need 2 panels for the back. Here’s one of those. Note the carpenter’s triangle that I use to keep the parts aligned. I have already glued the bottom two pieces together but we’ll walk through the rest of making this one. ...
Sorry Lumberjocks, this was intended to be part one. I’ve got it straight from here on. My eldest daughter is getting married! They got engaged Summer, 2010 and the wedding is planned for Sept. 17, 2011. I told them I’d like to make them something special as a wedding from my wife and me. This is what we all agreed would be a great gift. Never mind that I haven’t done anything in Arts & Crafts Style and that this is my reference, Bruce Johnson’s book on The ...
Now We’re Getting Somewhere The front came out so nice, I’ve updated the design to include frame-and-panel side wings instead of plain edge-banded cherry ply as I had originally envisioned. It’s been a busy couple of weeks and there hasn’t been much shop time available, but I’ve scraped together enough hours — usually after bedtime — to finally cut, shape, and assemble the side panels (the theater’s “wings”) and prop the whole thing up. Now w...
Birdseye Maple on Cherry The design for the top panel calls for birdseye maple. It seemed a shame to use my only piece of birdseye maple up on just one project. I decided to resaw the board. A few passes through my old Grizzly G1066 sander later and I had a beautiful 3/32” sheet of birdseye maple veneer. Because this is going to be used for a raised panel, I had to decide on the substrate. One technique I’d seen and had always wanted to try was using a different species substra...
The other night my wife’s best friend’s daughter stopped by to help out with the kids while we ran some errands and completed some chores. She showed them a new game. They spent the evening in the basement hiding behind a blanket draped over a couple chairs, putting on puppet shows with the numerous dolls and stuff animals scattered about the basement. They’ve been putting on puppet shows nearly every day since…which sparked an idea for a Christmas present/project: ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries