I did accomplish a great deal yesterday, although much of it was the type of stuff that I can’t really show pictures of. I spent most of the morning and part of the afternoon editing the photographs that are going to be included with my Snowflake Damask project for the magazine. I shipped out the project already, and I must say I really hated to see that one go. I probably won’t see it back until sometime next spring. I did get to spend some time to do some painting, although ...
This one was an exercise in lamination. 6 primary species of wood – western maple, red oak, sapele, cherry, birch and walnut. Two pieces of each species, each piece at a different thickness, and some random veneer thrown in between each primary wood piece, for a total of 23 layers. The sole is white oak. Glue is urea formaldehyde, so I could glue it up in one go. Didn’t think I could get it done with PVA. The bed is 45 degrees, and was my first double iron plane. I someho...
First of all I just want to say that I love the term “sliding deadman”. I think it’s hilarious! As a forensics investigator for the Edmonton Police Service (a city nearing a million in population) I have seen my fair share of dead men, literally. But I have never seen one sliding! Not even in the cold, snowy, icy winters that we have. But I’ll bet that if I do, I will probably bust a gut laughing while thinking about the work holding device on my bench instead of whate...
Several have asked about what I am working on now, so I thought I would take a minute and post some progress photos. My current work is a Kitchen Shelving and Desk system in Birch to match the styling of the exisiting cabinets built in the early 1960’s. Seemed like a fairly straight forward project for a past customer, and I like working for them. They “discovered” me, and that “Rates” in my book, regardless of what they want me to do. During the planning...
Well, guys and girls – I can tell you already that this is going to be a short blog today. Every time I do something here on Lumberjocks (add a photo, comment or blog entry) it is taking me about five minutes for it to do so. I am happy that I don’t have a lot of pictures to share today. There are days the site just gets like that, and today I have too much to do to wait for it to “wake up!” :) Yesterday I switched gears and Keith and I did some of the ‘prod...
So, here we go.This will be the final chapter to this series.When we left off the paddle blade and shaft were somewhere between roughed and semi finished.The next step is a little slower. At least for me it is.The handgrip.Excuse the poor photography, but here is what were starting with for the handgrip. You get the idea. We’re starting with just a roughsawn blank.I think if I had been a little slower and used just a little more care at the bandsaw stage, then I wouldn’t have s...
I spent the day yesterday sorting through bunnies and taking photographs for the MUD bunny pattern packet. In all, I had made 6 sets of 10 bunnies. I made a couple of extra sets because I wanted to add them to my “All Season Tree” for the spring months. As much as I loved the look of the polar bears and penguins and the soft ice blue beads, I knew it was time to change over and have some spring and summer items on it. I suppose that is part of the fun of having a tree up all...
I’m in the midst of finishing up a project I have really enjoyed. Sure, it has taken me two times the hours I bid, but I am happy with the result. Actually, it has come out better than I expected, which is always a nice surprise. This is a functional-art piece I wish I wasn’t selling, to be honest. But, I have already spent all of the down payment. So, giving the money back is not possible, so the customer will get her desk. There have been a few pieces I wish I could ha...
March is here and by end of the month I hope to have the top of the built-in together and installed, and of course the Woodworkers Fighting Cancer table build (feel free to check it out and maybe make a small donation if you are so inclined). Last weekend I finished jointing and planeing the faces of the Cherry for top of the built-in. All finished it ended up just over 1” thick, so that will make a nice top. I still need to cut and joint the edges and I actually think I’ll e...
The day started simply enough; I was working on a computer desk I was building for my Mom and having trouble deciding how to place the hutch on the desktop. I’m only a novice at furniture so every detail is an exploration in how I understand the plans I designed. See a fundamental problem there ? Blind leading the blind, comes to mind. I had this gorgeous birch plywood I wanted to use for the desktop; it’s patterning in the grain was so sweet that I had simply looked at it for...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1354 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1377 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 391 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 224 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 189 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 179 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 165 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 154 entries