For the past three weeks, I have been writing about a project that I was creating that I had been thinking about for over two years. I have hoped that it didn't get boring or tedious for you all to read, as my mind has been focused on little else and (for me, anyway) it was a long process to see it come to fruition. What I saw in my mind over the last few years probably changed hundreds of times. From one day to the next, not only the style and graphics on the project changed, but al...
My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1542: Electronics Makeover Complete Plus NEW Plaque Patterns
I was so thrilled to have such a productive weekend! Even though I am 'busy' most days, it sometimes seems like there are times when we feel like we are working hard and in the end, little is accomplished. (Or little is noticed, anyway!) But this weekend, we made big strides on both our home organizational project that we began a couple of months ago, and also I made progress on my "Scary-Go-Round" Haunted Carousel. I woke up today ready to take on another week and the world...
I was absolutely thrilled with the progress that I made yesterday on my "Scary-Go-Round" painted carousel project! After all the thinking and planning, I think it is coming together rather nicely. I was debating on whether I was going to put it aside for a little bit and do some other work, but I can't help but keep moving forward and forging ahead. As each element is completed, I find myself wanting to hurry and get to the next part. It is wonderful to see my ideas turning into...
Relatively slow progress this week as I’m juggling many things. I was unhappy with the weighting of the first set of muntins, plus I made a simple error. Nothing amazing, but it was enough to convince me to pull the muntins and start afresh. Incidentally, the muntins were surprisingly strong in situ. One never gets much opportunity to test joinery to destruction in a real-world setting so it’s reassuring to know how much integrity exists within the work we do. In addition to th...
My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1533: "Nevermore" Painting Pattern (Finally!)
You know – there are days when I really do get mixed up! (Yes – I know! Some of you think EVERY day!) With all the different things I am doing and all the calendars, dates and reminders that I give myself, sometimes things do happen to slip by my steel trap of a mind. I suppose I am only human! Last autumn, I created a painting pattern that turned out to be one of my favorites. It was a bit 'darker' than my usual cheerful pieces, but I think that is what I liked ...
Apologies for mangling French irretrievably there just to force out a pun…. The doors presented a few logistical challenges. Surprisingly, the internal rebate angles were the least of these. The largest challenge was in the form of how best to clamp the main outer frame whilst gluing. The frame comprises morticed hinge and lock stiles with two tenoned upper/lower rails. (the mortice and tenon sizes increased in height which the drawing does not indicate) Prior to any shapin...
This blog entry was inspired by Mark Kornell’s query about my approach to waxing. I’m no expert on wax finishing and would never represent myself as such. I enjoy the learning and improvement process, and that is where I take the most reward from working with wood. Wax is a simple and easy to maintain finish which seems to live and age gracefully with the workpiece rather than trapping it in time. Furniture and guitars (my other problem) live with us as companions, picking up expe...
Not a huge amount to add today I’m afraid. The main carcase of the cabinet has had its medium sanding completed (up to 240 grit) and the first guide layer of wax added. I’m genuinely not sure whether this is a valid or efficient method of using wax (it certainly uses up a lot of it) however it produces far superior results than those from the instructions or other methods I’ve picked up. My waxing procedure is to start early. Once all the glueup and sanding that alters fo...
Hi everyone! I’ve been somewhat out of radio contact due to pressing work for my degree and working on a business startup…. Between then (when was the last post?) and now, the entire piece was constructed in Solidworks, had the bugs refined out (mostly avoiding work overcomplication and basic logistics), ripped apart and reconstructed. Very little has changed from the original dimensions and layout. The recipient of the largest changes were the doors in terms of the muntin/mull...
Scroll saw baskets are a bit easier to make than scroll saw bowls.Today I am making a 9 sided pattern out of birch.These make great gifts and are very popular. You can watch my video here. Enjoy.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1794 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1819 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries