Well I finally finished what I had been working on for the past several days. At least “Phase 1” of the design – creating the first prototypes. I now feel pretty good about things and feel like I am able to move forward with other things. Designing painting patterns is a great deal different than designing woodworking patterns. When working on scrolling patterns, the bulk of the time is spent in the drawing. Once the computer work is done there are usually only some m...
To see the pictures, please click here or see my project page. To top off a really productive day, I decided it was time to make me some bench hooks. I have been putting it off out of sheer laziness, but the last couple days I’ve had to do some random work out in the shop and thought to myself, “Self, you sure could use some damn bench hooks right about now…”. I thought that one too many times and decided today was the day I made sure I didn’t need to think ...
We had quite a day here yesterday, filled with excitement. Not the kind of crazy excitement that you are probably thinking of, but we are ‘mature’ (ha!) country people and it doesn’t take much for us to be excited. My partner Keith got his new computer case yesterday. For those of you who don’t know, he isn’t only my fellow designer, but also the ‘technological genius’ behind Sheila Landry Designs. While I am the one who has most of the contact ...
A funny thing happened to me this week. I wouldn’t really call it funny in the comical sense, but rather it was more ironic. I was thinking about everything that I want to design and for some reason or another I haven’t really felt as focused and productive as I could be. Perhaps it is because Keith hasn’t been feeling well (he is doing better, and almost back to normal). Perhaps because my saw was ‘sick’ too. Or maybe it was just because I was overwhelmed by...
Yesterday I had a really good day cutting. I spent the majority of the day at the scroll saw working on cutting the pieces for the decorative painting kits that I am supplying. I made a huge dent in the pile – much bigger than I would have anticipated – and with only a couple more hours of cutting to do today, I will finish the first leg of my mission. Of the hundred dozen pieces that I need for the first pattern, I successfully cut 72 dozen. Here is what 72 dozen pieces lo...
Most woodworkers that I talk to don’t like sanding. Of the many steps in the process of doing a woodworking project, I think I am pretty safe in saying that it is the least liked part. In fact, I am amazed at the number of people who spend hours on a project that simply skip over the sanding step completely. I don’t always understand why they would do that. While it may not be the most pleasant part of making a project, it is among the most important in most things that we cre...
I’ve started designing my router table that I plan to build. The idea is a conglomeration of other router tables I’ve seen. Overall dimensions are 35” wide, 35” high, 22” deep. Tabletop will be 37 1/2” x 24 1/2”. The 2D figure in the model is roughly 5’ 11” (my height) Construction will be out of 3/4” birch plywood. Face frames and tabletop edge banding in something solid like maple or walnut. Table top will be 3/4” MDF o...
While simple, this latest project took a little figuring out. As I stated yesterday, I wasn’t really happy with some of the things that I initially drew and like many of the projects I design, it took some revisions to get it how I wanted it to be. I know sometimes people think I just draw, cut and I am done, but lots of times there are some little things that don’t go together quite right or feel right and I have to tweak things just a bit and re-cut or remake them. Other times...
I had another good day yesterday, and pretty much finished the work on the new Valentine ornaments I was working on. I am happy to report that I didn’t even break any of the small pieces while I was sanding them and cleaning them up. All the scrollers out there know what a plus that is when doing something like this. It seems that sometimes breaking off small pieces is just part of the project at times. I find when I do break stuff, that the new Gorilla wood glue is excellent for...
I haven’t done one of these in a while. The build was a bit excruciating. Took 6 days, about 10-12 hrs. per day. Started on the Thurs. before Thanksgiving. That was an easy day. I just ran around getting all of the materials together and did some initial layout work and rough cut the plywood sides. These were full height and were too awkward to move around, so I used a straight edge and my new PC 8902 router to get the edges of the plywood ready for the face frames. Once the first side ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1037 parts
- Extremely Average - 325 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 85 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Just for Fun... - 72 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 64 parts
- 52 Weeks - 52 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1059 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 384 entries
- Ecocandle - 326 entries
- dbhost - 318 entries
- Martin Sojka - 294 entries
- Karson - 288 entries
- MsDebbieP - 283 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- William - 210 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Stevinmarin - 197 entries
- mafe - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 182 entries
- Rustic - 182 entries
- PurpLev - 159 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 146 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries