This blog entry is further in the past than the previous one, sharp-sighted will notice that leg vise is not ready yet here. I believe it’s not a big deal, so here we go…...At the very beginning of the project I wanted to build some kind of folding workbench, but as project evolved I rejected this folding approach and decided to build solid yet collapsible bench. Thus I started to figure how to mount benchtop on the base when both were ready. Here’s what I came up with:...
Back at it. Since the plans for the workbench called for stretchers that are 1 3/4” thick by 4” wide, I had to get back to laminating. The rest of the bench so far has all been built with Lenga (Chilean Cherry, some call it), but I recently acquired a bunch of nominal 1×8 black mahogany that had been edge glued for width. I got it cheap (very cheap) because it was edge glued with no attention given to matching the color. The material is 3/4” thick, and I d...
Last time, I had finished assembly of the benchtop but had neglected to get any pictures of it right-side up. I moved it onto the bed in the spare bedroom near my work area to make room for sizing up the leg stock. I purchased poplar for the base of the bench since it is relatively inexpensive. I read something recently about poplar not being a good choice for a workbench base (not sure what the reasoning was), but I have already purchased it and done much of the sizing of parts from it. I...
Edited 8/21/09: A couple of years ago I took an intro class on wood carving. The school had on hand some carving benches for the students to use but, naturally, I had to make my own design. Below is the design that I came up with. It was small enough for me to lug to class and large enough to handle most of the carving projects that I anticipate doing. It also allowed me the flexibility to accommodate various sizes of work and be able to reposition them without unscrewing and re-screwing...
Well…since we built the shed…it has been tough to find multiple days in a row to get shop time…between visitors and our own travels I have had a day here and a day there…but I have made lots of progress and tomorrow I hope to finish my first table top for the new miter station… Since my last entry I have: 1) moved 95% of “the “non-shop stuff” out of my garage…so now it is A SHOP…2) put up shelves in the shed for all that stuffR...
I don’t have access to a 24” planer or drum sander, so I figured I was on my own. Much googling later, I found the Tage Frid method for levelling a benchtop in situ with a router. Linky I grabbed me some cheap, but cleanly joined poplar, built out my custom rails and router sled, bought a big honking flat router bit, and set up to flatten! I took a very thin pass across the top, just barely touching the top of the cup in the bench. This operations throws up a HUGE a...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1545 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1570 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 271 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries