Just like a well built house, a well rounded approach to woodworking comes form a solid foundation and understanding of the principles of the medium. Understanding wood and how it will respond to your actions and finding a happy dance that will let you enjoy the craft instead of having it dominate you is paramount. This theory transferred well today when I milled up the legs for the bench. It needs to have an accurate, well made foundation to be a solid usable bench. I took my time today as s...
Wow what a day, I have been packing things in lately, I think my candle has four ends. So today I got the bench top surfaced to thickness and cut to length, I glued up the split rail, glued up the candlesticks that I have to do, I helped with some cnc work for the carving side of the shop and helped with a prototype cane head. Then started on video #2 “The Tool Cabinet”. I have just about finished a sketchup design I have to do and have the blue prints in to be printed off. I am s...
This is what it looks like all put together. Still have to do a bit of flattening to the top side. It started out almost perfectly flat. But a couple three boards had warped so there were a couple of low spots. I’ve removed about 1/4” so far, leaving only two spots untouched by the planer – one about three or four square inches and another just a bit bigger. I’ve been taking several 45° angle passes across the entire surface.
This will be my first post on lumberjocks so I thought I would start with something simple. I’m in the process of gearing up to make a set of dining chairs and was looking for a way to secure work to the top of my bench. I drilled some thru holes in the top of my bench that will allow the clamps to be oriented towards the front or towards the side. I’ve seen bar and pipe clamps used this way but I don’t think I’ve seen handscrew clamps used this way. The bottom jaw ...
My bench has had a gaping…er…gap in the middle of it since I built in in December 2012. Since I have Thanksgiving week off, I thought I’d remedy the situation. The divider is a simple piece made with two boards of sapwood-y black walnut with oak spacers. The bench was quite useful for gluing the thing together. The shot below shows that I staggered the spacers to accommodate different sized tools. After a little cleanup on the table saw and some fine...
Here goes…. Traditional work benches (roubo for example) are out dated. I know, heresy. But it’s true The reason they made those crazy over sized legs and joints was because they didnt have sheetgoods back then and they needed to over build them to deal with the lateral and horizontal force they experienced. It is my opinion that pine 2×6’s and 3/4 ply MORE than cover any of the structural needs of a work bench. So the next big argument FOR traditional w...
So, the top needed skirts, obviously, so time to laminate again. This time, I used 3 pieces of 1×8 black walnut. This gave me a skirt that is 2 1/4” thick, and 6 3/4” wide – after cleaning up the edges. I glued up enough blanks for the front skirt, two end skirts, and chops for both vises. I did not get very many pictures of this process, as I had plenty of lamination pics earlier….I will say that these skirts were BEEFY! And heavy. So, now I had to figure...
OOOH I had fun today! After a few days off visiting relatives, I was finally afforded time back in the shop today and spent that time cutting the 2×4s to make up the bench top. I broke out the new miter-saw (well, new as of 2 years ago…) cut all 16 2×4s to rough length (73”). Once I finish the glue up, I’ll trim the top to length with the circular saw. Here’s the result: To see the details and my comments on the Harbor Freight 10” compound mit...
My daughter’s boyfriend needed a benchtop to go into his mechanical shop to set on top of some cabinets. I had a couple rough sawn 2” x 18” pine plank. One was a bench in a shed and I was going to remove it anyhow, so I offered to make a top. First move was ripping them to width on the table saw. Then I didn’t want to run them over the jointer by myself. Even thought they are pine, they are still a bit heavy. So I grabbed the #8 and went to work. ...
In this post today I wanted to go over the materials and methods I used for constructing my benchtops for the new workbench.Each benchtop is an identical lamination of 4 layers. In my original design, the top was 3 layers thick (each about 3/4 inch thick). However once I completed that part of it I realized that the bench wasn’t going to be heavy enough. The material I was using at that point was all aspen and pine, with red oak trim. I noticed that the density of SYP (southern yellow p...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries