Here is a short update of just my work last night. Laid out and drilled my row of dog holes 3” apart. Sorry, galoot index is Zero on this one. I used a ¾” spade bit to make the wholes. Let me just say that I think spade bits are underrated. If you don’t need to make a flat bottom hole or drill overlapping holes I like them better than Forstner bits. The spade bit leaves a pretty clean entry whole and cut pretty fast with a lot less effort IMHO. Drilled out for the second end C...
Hello. I have now finished the tail vise, and today I had acually started work on the base. After I had got the dovetails for the tailvise fit and the pins on the guide rod I cut out the place for the pins to be inserted in the vise assembly. I then started work on getting the notches cut in the guide blocks for the sliding parts. Here you can see the guide rod in place, with the one guide block attached to the end cap with a notch for the guide rod to slide through aswell as a small notch...
drilled 3/4 holes. Long stringy chips. only cut my self once. press fit rods into holes. Now to silver solder.
Not much progress since last time, but still some. First of all, I made my wagon vise a handle. It’s been cut from raw oak stock that I took from my country house almost two years ago. I started with planing it to be a square, then to be octagonal, then I doubled number of edges yet more couple of times, and finished with some very light sanding. To make end knobs I used my poor man’s lathe: Time after time I use it to turn knobs, handles and such: And here is my ...
Had a rough for for a couple months will little time in the shop. Some for obvious reasons, the rest mostly due to work. I know my voice has been out there in the forums, but the majority of the posts are done from my work computer as adverse to the home computer. I finished flattening the top of the bench and added dog holes for the hold fasts and the bench dogs. The top has been especially challenging due to the space in my shop. I don’t like working in tight spaces. I have about a...
Here’s a short video that I put together, showing how I made a handful of new bench dogs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ePNfWy52k
I am making 9 bench dogs out of 3/4 brass rod and 3/8 copper flat bar. Cut the rod to 3” pieces and the copper to 1 1/2 by 1 3/4 rectangles. Drill a 3/4 hole in the copper. mate and silver solder. then find an appropriate size tygon tube. Cut into 7/16 long rings, heat and slip over the copper. Then I’ll be done with another step. 9 very sturdy bench dogs for $60. not bad. Thanks Gary for this COOL idea.
I made my workbench a while back (link – http://lumberjocks.com/projects/30437). I specifically made the undercarriage of it ready to go for bench dogs. All was well, except they are expensive. So I did this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tyGzZtufRU The stop pieces hang off the edge so I can pull them out easily. I made a few of them, some aren’t very tall so they don’t get in the way when I’m sanding and hand planing boards. I’ve had this set up f...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1599 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1624 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries