Had a surprise today, more funds available in the budget than I thought so I went to the lumber yard and got the wood that I needed. Got it all milled up and the front rail is now in the clamps. Due to my clamp shortage, I’ll have to glue up the last leg after I get home from work tomorrow night. But that’s good because it’ll set me up perfect for next weekend’s activities. I picked up a 2 – 5/8” forstner bit for the plastic bearing ring, a 4” fors...
Today was a light day for me as I’m running out of things I can do until I get more wood, so today I cut out the side profile of the chop. I had this piece of thin ply laying around so I ripped it down to size and put my alignment marks on it, then drew the shoulder using a french curve template. Using the centerline I was able to do both sides. I clamped it on edge and sanded the template profile smooth then traced both sides on the chop. I cut a bunch ...
Yesterday I picked up a 1 – 1/4” forester bit and a 3/8” x 10” long brad point bit at Woodcraft. The forstner bit is for drilling the hole through the chop and leg for the leg vise. The bit is too short to make it all of the way through the leg so I also need to get a forstner bit extension. The 3/8” bit is for the pins that hang the Criss-Cross on the chop and leg. The chop is 9” wide so this was barely able to make it through. I didn’t want to hassl...
Yesterday I took the end cap and cut out two mortises first using a spade bit and then chiseling it square. I had to trim the tenons down a bit to fit in, and when I was squaring the small mortise, part of the end grain wall broke away leaving me with a big gap. I really didn’t want to make another end cap and do all of this work again, so I think I’m going to go with it for now. If I decide later I can’t live with it, I can just take it off and make another o...
Expectations. We all have them when we walk into the shop. Ah yes, I have come to spend a pleasant relaxing day at the bench undisturbed, unperturbed. Then you begin work. Things can go wrong. Jigs don’t work, parts mis-align as the glue holds fast in the wrong spot, wood tears out, screw heads break off, and finishes blotch. Lest it be misunderstood that I am somehow above the fray here, that nothing ever goes wrong for me, that I am the calm sea in the eye of every storm at my bench, ...
Its been a a long few years in highschool and a solid maple workbench will be my final project. Ive been designing it for months and finally received the wood 90 BF of 8/4 hard maple. My portion being the 7 lighter colored boards on the left. Let the bench begin! Starting to shape up , i should mention the finish on these boards was fantastic , they had warped some but the faces were nearly flat and already smoothed making it much less work to joint flat surfaces. The smaller boards we...
I know it’s late, but I finally started this thing. It’s grown to 9 feet long instead of 7 so I can plane an 8 foot long piece of moulding all at once. I actually got started and cut some wood. I’ll be posting pictures soon. The question still remains if I should use Ash or Douglas Fir for the top? Updated design here.
This will be my first post on lumberjocks so I thought I would start with something simple. I’m in the process of gearing up to make a set of dining chairs and was looking for a way to secure work to the top of my bench. I drilled some thru holes in the top of my bench that will allow the clamps to be oriented towards the front or towards the side. I’ve seen bar and pipe clamps used this way but I don’t think I’ve seen handscrew clamps used this way. The bottom jaw ...
My sister-in-law sent a picture of a bench and asked if I could make one to go in her entryway. The legs on it would’ve required compound angles, which I didn’t really want to deal with so I looked for other similar benches online and found one by Pottery Barn in which the legs were only angled in one direction, not two. So I set about to make it using the pictures from the Pottery Barn website as reference. I used only 2×4’s since I can’t afford to pay for a...
After conspiring for some four years I finally saved up my pennies for the Grizzly G0602 metal cutting lathe. Had fun rigging it into my basement and began the process of disassembly, inspection and cleaning all the cosmoline off of it. These Chinese lathes are priced low enough for hobbyist to afford, but require a bit of TLC, as there are lots of burrs that need filing and grit to clean up in order to get everything moving smoothly. With the lathe weighing in at over 400 lb...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1524 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1549 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 211 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 187 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 166 entries