Check this out guys. Found this on Youtube today. What a brilliant idea…..you could set this up in so many different ways….enjoy if video isnt working…here is the youtube link
A couple of weeks ago someone posted some info on the Gil-Bilt home made tools. Here and here. Gil-Bilt is an old company in St. Charles Mo. I used to live in Florissant Mo about 20 miles away and I went to their office and bought a 6 X 48” Belt sander kit. I don’t remember the price. I’m guessing that is was around 1970 that this occurred. I built the sander and used it for over 20 years. The sander didn’t have a disc sander attachment and so I bought a new one...
It’s the JET – JSG-96CS: 6’’ x 48’’ Belt / 9’’ Disc Sander w/ Closed Stand, 3/4HP 1Ph, 115V. It arrived by pallet in two boxes: Right away the 3/4HP motor and belt seemed bigger than I’d imagined this past year or two (this has been on my wishlist for awhile now). I had even scaled up my mental image, but it was still bigger than I thought: The closed stand is a very thick sheet metal, and heavier than I expected. It was a...
I’ve had a kind of crappy blue plastic borg sanding block for some time, and I’ve been lazy and switched out the paper. I don’t use it too often, but its finally given up the ghost and won’t really stay closed any more. I decided to make myself some proper ones with a nice cork backing. Here’s the original borg crappy one.. The one thing I do like about it is that it is sized such that you can quarter a regular sized sheet, and they fit the sanding bl...
Back in May our daughter came to visit with us for a few days. We like to work together in the shop so that is what we did. We each knew a young child that we wanted to make a toy for, so I inquired here about good toy books. I bought a couple of them and we made these grasshoppers from the plans and instructions in the book Making Heirloom Toys by Jim Makowicki.I had lots of scrap walnut and cherry left over from the two harp-making projects, so we used that for our bodies. We made the legs ...
Hello all LumberJocks! As promised in my Gloat to End all Gloats post, I’m starting a blog series dedicated to discovering, moving in, and setting up the dedicated shop we got as part of our recent home purchase. I plan to put several types of posts under this one series, which will range from discovering the new tools to setting up the shop and making it my own. I’d like to start by letting y’all know we closed on the house on Friday afternoon, so we have spent all weekend clean...
First, some good news. The dust blowing all over last time was not indicative of poor dust collection in this machine. After closing up shop for the day, it bugged me all night, and I figured there must have been something I missed. There was. Under the belt on the back of the machine is a blast gate. D’oh. Opening that, the dust collection becomes quite good. No more dust spewing in all directions, but this thing sands very aggressively, so hard sanding does result in a little bit kick...
I finally got around to posting the completion of the sanding platform with dust collection. Dust collection is working very well with just a shop vac. The platform pivots out of the way for belt changes while in either the horizontal or vertical positions though you have to move the sander to the edge of the bench so it can swing out of the way. I need to add 2 more feet to make it more stable in this position. By swinging the platform out of the way while in the horizontal po...
I got this off a craigslist add a few years ago. It’s old school with oil bath bearings. And tracking adjusters on both sides of the idler roller. The disk sander table has a really terrible angle adjuster, a screw wedge, but it also has two support arms that help lock the table in position. It has worked well for me although the belt has a tendency to drift.The problem was pretty bad until the rubber sleeve on the idler roller disintegrated due to dry rot.I decided to repla...
One of my staples for sale at craft shows is slotted coin displays.They are fairly simple to make and I try to make them in batches so I have inventory without setting up too often to make them.All of them so far have been made from dunnage used to ship steel radio transmission towers from India to the US. Where we would use pine 2×4’s to brace freight this particular company used an assortment of mid/far east woods. From what I can see and surmise it is the off-cuts from the India...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries