One of the things that inspired me to make a belt sander was seeing YouTube videos of the Sorby Proedge™ Sharpening system. I struggled with getting consistent edges on my lathe tools and had messed up one of my bowl gouges more than once. I knew that I would not be able to get good results on my lathe unless I got better at sharpening and if it wasn’t quick, easy and repeatable, I would wait longer than I should to freshen the edges. The Sorby Proedge™ system is crazy e...
I finally got around to posting the completion of the sanding platform with dust collection. Dust collection is working very well with just a shop vac. The platform pivots out of the way for belt changes while in either the horizontal or vertical positions though you have to move the sander to the edge of the bench so it can swing out of the way. I need to add 2 more feet to make it more stable in this position. By swinging the platform out of the way while in the horizontal po...
Building the base for the sander. Base Design Requirements Because I want to be able to do quick belt changes, the belt carriage has to be mounted on one side so I want the base to be rock solid. The motor mount needs to be adjustable to allow the belt to be loosened if necessary without too much trouble and the base should protect the motor from dust. The table/rest should provide a solid platform for sanding both vertically and horizontally but needs to move out of the way for belt...
Project Inspiration A couple of months ago, Woodsmith magazine had a shop built belt sander on the cover which inspired me to try to build my own. I’ve been using a handheld Dewalt Belt sander with a stand as a bench sander but have been frustrated with the small sanding area. I also had to fix a broken shaft screw using super glue so I know that its days are numbered. The Woodsmith version was designed to take advantage of a lathe to drive the sander when the lathe is not in use but...
Making up a bunch of oak dowel pegs. I use my old Delta belt/disc sander to clean-up the splinters and chamfer the ends of the dowels. Those oak splinters are a big pain! Oak dowels come in all colors! I keep the sets together and use them on the same joints as much as possible. Second upright on Saw Bench/Saw Horse No. 2 was out of square by 1/4” (diagonal measurements) – after removing the 48” pipe clamps, this is the resulting diagonal measurements: I c...
We had a slight break in the cold weather in my neck of the woods, so I ducked outdoors to do a bit of sanding of the cutting boards my wife asked me to make as Christmas presents for several of her family members. The router bit I used for my router sled left a bit of a mangled surface on the 3 end-grain cutting boards, so armed with a brand new Ridgid belt sander, I got to work with some cautious sanding. I can’t say I’m too experienced with a belt sander, so I am rather pro...
One of my staples for sale at craft shows is slotted coin displays.They are fairly simple to make and I try to make them in batches so I have inventory without setting up too often to make them.All of them so far have been made from dunnage used to ship steel radio transmission towers from India to the US. Where we would use pine 2×4’s to brace freight this particular company used an assortment of mid/far east woods. From what I can see and surmise it is the off-cuts from the India...
I got this off a craigslist add a few years ago. It’s old school with oil bath bearings. And tracking adjusters on both sides of the idler roller. The disk sander table has a really terrible angle adjuster, a screw wedge, but it also has two support arms that help lock the table in position. It has worked well for me although the belt has a tendency to drift.The problem was pretty bad until the rubber sleeve on the idler roller disintegrated due to dry rot.I decided to repla...
Hello all LumberJocks! As promised in my Gloat to End all Gloats post, I’m starting a blog series dedicated to discovering, moving in, and setting up the dedicated shop we got as part of our recent home purchase. I plan to put several types of posts under this one series, which will range from discovering the new tools to setting up the shop and making it my own. I’d like to start by letting y’all know we closed on the house on Friday afternoon, so we have spent all weekend clean...
So, I recently built a new cedar gate & needed some handles. I didn’t want to go out & buy some, so decided to make my own. Inspired by “http://lumberjocks.com/projects/48854” CaptainAhab’s handles, I ended up with:Here’s how I built them:Starting with a lamination of 3 pieces of clear Cedar which I planed down to about 2 1/8” thick:Obviously, I made a little template for the top curves out of 1/4” plywood & cut the top curve with the ban...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1783 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Toy costruction - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1808 entries
- dbhost - 432 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 307 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 236 entries
- Dave Rutan - 228 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries