Building the stairs With the main bunk bed complete, it was time to turn my attention to the stairs. For safety reasons, mom insisted the bunk bed have stairs instead of a ladder. The original design featured drawers on the end and paneled sides. Upon further reflection (and measuring) it was clear that this placement wouldn’t work – there simply wouldn’t be enough room to access them. Many commercial beds feature drawers under each step, so I figured this could work here...
Here is my setup for cutting half blind dovetails. I use a larger-than-stock 14 degree dovetail bit. I think it makes nicer looking dovetail joints, and they feel much stronger. Here is a link to my blog about the special bit… http://lumberjocks.com/topics/40073-----This is the bit I use, which is a Rockler item. You can still cut these dovetails in one pass with the PC jig. -----I trimmed some aromatic cedar plywood to size and test fit the drawers.-----Grooves were cut for the dra...
I started the dresser like I start most of my projects, by laminating up some legs. I am making two dressers, so 8 legs were in order. I cut strips of 3/4” quartersawn red oak, and resawed a few of them. I could then glue 3 pieces together to get my leg width. Finally, I glued on 1/4” thick stock to cover my jointlines. After the glue dries, I plane the thickness of these veneers to about 3/32”. That way, I get quartersawn grain on all 4 sides. I then milled s...
A break from the normal murphy bed and switching gears to a twin four poster bed. I’m posting out of order, but here is the video of the post glue up. Video streaming by UstreamThe post will be 2 1/2” x 2 1/2” with a small chamfer on the edges to make an octagon look. I’m going to stop the chamfer on the inside where the post attach. This will allow my bracket room to mount. For more building pictures see my Current Projects link at wwbeds.com o...
Check out my guest post on my wife's blog where I discuss how to build two headboards from a pair of reclaimed doors. There are even detailed instructions with measurements available for download.
In the last few weeks since my latest post, I’ve made significant progress on the bed. I applied the finish to the poplar parts and glued up the head and foot ends of the bed. At this point I was able to test-assemble the bed and give the kids a chance to take it for a test…er…rest? The boys give it a test run Back “X” The “X” across the back of the piece is very similar to the “X” logos in the ends, minus the top and bottom arcs....
Over the last couple weeks I’ve completed the construction of the side and end rails and cut the slats for supporting the mattresses. I also settled on somewhat novel connection hardware for the rails. Woodcraft sells a very inexpensive bed rail set bracket set that are nonetheless very sturdy and heavy duty. I’ve augmented the connection with a single 10×50mm domino in each rail for added security and support. I cut the slots to exact width in both the rail and the post, so ...
I completed the baby’s room over the weekend and “installed” the dresser last night. Since this is more a remodeling project, I’ve posted the project page over at HomeRefurbers.com. While I designed this piece to last a lifetime, and not to compliment the room design, I think it looks reasonably “at home” in it’s new digs! More details at my personal blog: http://tenonandspline.com/blog/archives/155
So, it is time for my boys to get their own room. They are getting too big for their cribs, and I need to finish that spare bedroom for them so they can have their own space. We have a small cape cod home, originally 4 bedrooms when we moved in, but we made it 3, creating a master bedroom downstairs by combining the 2 smaller rooms. Upstairs there are 2 bedrooms, shaped like a plus symbol, and a small half bath (currently unusable as well). The bath will be a project for another day...
So it is that time again in my workshop, PLANNING my favorite time full of potential and lacking in the reality of things like dull saw blades, bad cuts or mess ups. I also so am at a sand still with regards to my shop as it is going to rain and with a small shop the table saw ends up outside so a couple one stop shop projects this weekend and then start the next project. I just finished the turtle stool and enjoyed it but it was not something new, so the next project is going to be a piec...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries