You not only get to play with the toy when assembled, it’s also a puzzle! After testing, I have it completely dismantled to do some finish sanding and painting. I stopped counting parts and pieces after one hundred, but it is important to be able to be able to make adjustments and repairs if needed. So I though I would post a few pictures of the inner workings, that might help if someone might like to do something similar. The important part of the man, as far as how he dances, a...
It works! That doesn’t always happen, for me! I still have a little tweaking to do on one cam, but this is pretty much how it will operate. I’ll be able to start on the painting and finishing next, which shouldn’t be too bad. Of course, one of the things that slows me down, is all the “testing” I just have to do! So, as a thank you to those that have followed my blog, I decided to post a little preview of it in action. Thanks for eeveryone’s encourag...
I’m still working on the fit of the head to the body, but he is mostly finished. I’ve never carved a dog before, but he doesn’t look too bad. I’m still working on the mechanisms to move his head and tail. This is how he will be positioned with the old fellow. I will probably have the tail on the side of the man, to avoid accidently breaking it while turning the crank. I need to pick up some supplies for an idea I have for the legs/feet on the whole contrapti...
I’ve been working on the mechanical parts of the toy this week. I built a 10” x 10” box with mitered corners out of oak. The back drop and other pieces are out of poplar and the stage is 1/4” birch. I used 3/4” birch plywood for the gears and collars and cams with dowels for the different rods and pistons. The back drop will be doweled and glued in place, and I am trying to decide if I want to put the title up there or down on the oak. All the other pi...
I make simple boxes, mostly of cedar with poplar inlays. There are many fine ways to make boxes and this is about the simplest. I make them 11”x8”x2 1/2” deep with hinged lid. 8” is my limit of the width of wood so anything over that will have a splice in it, which I avoid doing. I start by planeing and re-sawing the 1” thick rough eastern red cedar to 3/8” thickness on my band saw. I then cut strips to 2 1/4” to form the sides ...
A little more progress on this. The left hand is just a fist that is part of the arm, while the right hand is a separate piece carved to look like he is snapping his fingers. The arms will be doweled and glued to the body before shaping them further. I glue them on one at a time and use a bit of rubber as a clamp. I’m using wire brads as the hinge pins for all the joints. I use CA glue to strengthen the areas around the holes that these pins go through. The head and the right hand a...
I’m trying to catch up on my posting and keep these in the sequence that I made them. I cut the body out of some thicker wood and then added the legs. Check out those boots! They’ll look snazzy when I get them painted. The arms will be fixed in place, but I still have some more carving to do on them. The right hand will be a separate piece that is movable also. Thanks for looking. There may be some resemblance to me, at least in the last pose!
I made something similar to this several years back and wanted to do an improved version since my carving skills have improved a bit. I am also a big fan of Wanda Sowery and others who make these wonderful machines. I drew up some sketches of the figures I wanted for this and I have started carving them out. This is the face I came up with. The hat is a separate piece of wood that is glued on. More to come!
After a month of development based on the feedback I got here, I finally managed to release Carpenter Pro, this time, it calculates how many plywood sheets are needed to finish your project and get detailed cutlist diagram for each stock sheet needed. It allows you to specify the dimensions & grain direction for your stock sheets material, specify the dimensions and the required grain direction for each part you need to cut for your project, and set the kerf amount, then watch this app ge...
Since I have completed all my major holiday committments, I have just been working on fun things! I am getting some parts for Christmas to re-model my power honer, so I have been cutting out some disks and doing some glue-ups to prepare for that. I plan to make the full 4 disk Burke style sharpener and I hope to use the existing motor I have, but it may not have enough power. I carved this small angel from a Shawn Cipa pattern for a lady at church and will do a larger version as a tree topper...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 275 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 229 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries