http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z8vDvSHjVA&feature=youtube_gdataMy hometown of Blairsville Georgia has one of those old courthouses located in the center of the town. I remember cruising around it on weekends in my 65 Mustang convertable. A comittee has restored the old building in the last several years and it is now a museum. They had to cut down a bartlett pear tree that had grown too close. My father, who is on the committee, acquired a few logs from the tree. I will later make a...
Hello Again, Well after a rough day at work I was really looking forward to today’s course…then I had to go back to work! But its okay I still made it to class early! I’m 2 for 2! Today Ryan demonstrated the bandsaw, disk and spindle sanders. Pretty cool, a huge bandsaw. I will have to measure it’s resaw capacity as it looked about 12 or 13 inches but very deep from the blade to the arm and a huge table. After the demo’s we picked our projects and began ...
Here is a current non woodworking project I’m working on, it rebuilding/restoring a 12” Craftsman bandsaw. The number printed on the body of the saw is 103.24280, which I’ve researched and found that it was manufactured between 1930 to 1950. It was given to me for free from my grandpa who works part time at a small airport which recently changed ownership. Many of the machinery in the shop was upgraded and much of what was not kept was thrown out, luckily my grandpa caugh...
Watch and learn the techniques of how to make one of the classic designs of wood inlay…The barber pole design. ...................Wood Inlay Banding...How to Make Barber Pole Banding ............. Visit…The Apprentice and The Journeyman ............Learn more, Experience more!
It all started with a drill press, I needed one, and was on the hunt. I quickly found that most new drill presses are lacking a feature I find very useful, a locking spindle. The machine I trained on had one, and I used it every time, So I wanted that feature.After a few days, I found an old machine that had the feature, it was a Canadian made beaver drill. I didn’t have the cash right then, but I have some friends that were on the hunt as well, I phoned them, and they scooped it up. So...
Here’s a link to a site with pictures including explanations of an old, and functioning, logging mill with a giant bandsaw. Try it you’ll like it ! Joe http://www.garymkatz.com/OnTheRoad/HullOaks.htm
One obvious failing on the jig was pointed out by Trevor (tdv) in that with the sliding table away from the right hand side of the blade the workpiece is unsupported on this side and could suffer chipout. Good point so Version 2.1 -TDV modification--A small piece of beech is fixed to the jaw of the left fixed table to act as a sacrificial zero clearance jaw. The corresponding cutout is made in the sliding table jaw to accommodate this and allow the jaw to still close up.As its screwed into...
Right having got the sliding table to run in it’s runners properly, with the application of some wax, the next thing to do is install an 8mm ‘T’ nut into the jaw end of the sliding table. thus--The rod will be captive in the left fixed table and so any rotation of it will now be transmitted by the ‘T’ nut into movement of the sliding table, to and from the blade position. The one on the top of the sliding table is just there to show you what the ‘T’ n...
This is my second attempt at this blog after loosing the first two thirds last time, whilst blogging. Is there a size limit on blogs I wonder (Martin)? I digress. My first circle jig (Version 1.0) worked fine but lacked positioning accuracy. So on to version 2. The materials for this jig were pretty much what I had on hand. Chipboard (they throw away half sheets of 10mm stuff that comes in with deliveries where I work), Beech, 8mm threaded rod, nuts, washers etc. The idea for the jig is...
10. I cut the two sides for my case, taking care to cut one small side from opposite ends of each board, to make the grain line up around the box. I cut them with a sliding stop to ensure that all pieces were exactly the same.11. I then put it together with rubber bands to test the joints and see if the grains were matching. I rubbed mineral spirits on the corners to test it.12. I measured all of the joints from corner to corner. The box was dead square. 13. I cut two inches o...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1783 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Toy costruction - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1808 entries
- dbhost - 432 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 307 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 236 entries
- Dave Rutan - 228 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries