Lately I have been building a lot of little helpers for our kitchen, mostly because have been doing a lot of cooking and baking. about four months ago we found out my wife is a type 2 diabetic and the first thing the doctor wanted her to do was to change her diet. She joined Weight Watchers, stopped eating sugar, and I started baking all our bread. I also raised a garden this year and canned which put me in the kitchen more than the shop. Being in the kitchen I started seeing places I could i...
After much cutting, the body pieces are cut. Some of the larger pieces I just ripped out on the band saw. The more detailed pieces, like the head and tail, are done on the scroll saw.In the photo above, I wanted to show the the general positioning of the one and a quarter dowel rod that runs through the inner body pieces. Remember that this is based roughly on the carousel horse plans. Whether building the carousel horse or something like this that I’m doing, it is very important to be ...
These salad spoons and a little bonus spoon were carved from recycled wood ( rimu – dacrydium cupressinum). Below is a bit of history of how they used to be made and in particular how I made this one, considering that it was from recycled wood and not from a tree. Traditional spoon making Historically spoons were rived from a log and rough carved with an axe. Riving, or splitting wood was usually done with a froe and a mallet. A hatchet was used to shape and smooth the general...
The reason I started this blog was to show a project that sort of evolved over time – at least a year so far – and illustrates one of the ways I seem to gain enjoyment from messing about in the workshop. I see a lot of small box makers who seem to work this way finding new and unusual ways of creating something from what seem to be left over cutoffs and so on.Anyway I can now show you the finishing touches to this stage of my project – but it is still not finished.It may bec...
I decided that the cuttlefish is attacking a fish as the wood looks a bit like a fish tail shape after I did some band saw outlining so I worked on giving more form to that area.The end of the wood has some finger-joint routing that seems to look OK. The area below the fishtail looks like a good place to shape some coral type formation.The eye of the cuttlefish is formed using 2 sizes of forstner bit on the drill press.The area below the cuttlefish seems to suggest the head of a fish ̵...
From time to time I had done a bit of practice carving , pyrography and edge finger jointing on some scrap pine so I wondered if I could work this up into something to fit the underwater theme of the band saw project. The idea of a cuttlefish and its prey began to take a vague shape in my imagination. So I penciled in some outlines and started carving. Not very promising yet but things should get better.
I created this about a year ago as a first band saw box project. First I had 2 small boxes that looked somewhat like fish but were only large enough for a couple of keys or maybe rings. Then got the idea of joining them using an old wooden spoon. The tip of the spoon became the fin ( draw-pull ) for the larger drawer and recently I added a bit of polished copper wire for the other fish drawer. Now I have to think of some use for this thing or something to add to the interest. ...
I spend a bit of time every day browsing Craigslist for Wood & Tool Bargains. This past Thursday I found an early 80’s 1 3/4hp 14” Jet Bandsaw for $40! I picked it up on Friday! While there is quite a bit of work that needs to be done, I am very excited about this machine. The 1 3/4 hp motor is quite big for this type of machine and works great. The wheels and infastructure are in fantastic shape. It is one heave piece of machine. Most of it is Cast Iron. There ...
Ok, I’ve been working on this for about 18 months. A little here and a little there… a piece at a time. It’s finally finished and now I can move on to making instruments. I never built a bench, or anything else – unless you consider that bowl I turned in wood shop 45 years ago? – so there was some learning curve involved. I never: made box joints or drawers, glued up a top, made and installed mortise & tenon’s, installed a vice – let alone two ...
After recieving MsDebbies post this morning I thought I should take a few pictures of this step stool and enter the kitchen challenge. The step stool was made on the request of MBH as she is sligtly vertically challenged and couldn’t reach the upper cabinets in the kitchen. Since then it has become more of a utilty stool used mostly for painting.The plan was published on the Home Hardware site as a free download. I made it out of pine scraps that I had around the shop. The stool was...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1658 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1683 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 225 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 200 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries