So I decided to fix that with a few pictures of what I have been up to. Last weeks load. The pines I am cutting for the guy who dropped off the hardwood in exchange. I saw his logs into framing for his deer cabin and I keep the walnut (many)-catalpa-birch-elm…for myself. One of the catalpa is, well, LARGE. 50” x 8’ I picked the “ugliest” catalpa out first. I love ugly logs. I sawed out some live edge slabs for benches. 2” thick ~24” wide and ...
Hey everyone,I am in need of some help! I am writing a book called “The Burl Hunter”. I am looking for interested people who are willing to read as I write to help me out. I am not a great writer but I love to teach. What I would like to do is get about 5 people to read and critique the book. Even edit my grammar. I would like 2 people who know about burls just to keep me in check and 3 to just read to learn and see how it flows. I need your input. It is a book that will g...
Okay, I took a break from the Slat clock to make a Spagnuolo Contemporary Clock and that was an adventure in mitres. After taking some time to reorganize the shop and do a cleanup, I got back at the Slat Clock that I’ve been working on. My plan calls for a 8 1/2” clock face and the material I had chosen is maple as I picked some up at a discount from a retired table maker. The score on that buy was that it has some minor spalting in some areas. At least I think it’s sp...
How do you frame an 8 sided mirror? Beats me. This is my solution. The construction is a whole new way of thinking for me. Fingers crossed for success. My sister wanted a framed mirror for her kitchen wall. she had a large free hanging one but it fell and the mirror and frame shattered. Of course I can make one right? Hmm…. She wants it 8 sided. I want to bolt it to the wall, not hang it like a picture. Here’s my solution so far. After she had the mirror cut at the glass com...
The first step was to cut pieces, and gluing the two frame (I did not have a camera in shop)I have a drawing of this pieceThis is the left side, right side is a mirror imageIt is now conducting the second phase, two frames with glue and spokes InstallationTomorrow I hope to see a well-dried frame, which become rounded trim.See you next time
I recently finished building a federal style card table loosely patterned after the plan in FWW issue #59, “Federal Card Table” by Michael Dunbar. That table in turn is based on a piece from the period, thought to be from Baltimore. I still consider myself a newbie, and was shocked at how well the finished table came out! Now I’m going to make a second table with a few improvements. If you’d like to follow along I can promise you that we will take an interesting and unconve...
After plenty of time at the wire wheel the gunk and grease is finally gone.rden-a/4529304655/” title=”IMGP1627 by beardenandrew07, oAnd now it has all come together. Here is a before and after.And now it is time to get a new blade, and time to design the table for the iron beast.
So, I thought everything was going along great, things were looking good… then this happened on several pieces after spray painting after the primer coat: It appears the paint isn’t adhearing to the metal there, despite the fact that I washed these pieces in my dishwasher to clean them off, and sanded them to remove loose paint/scuff up the surface. Anyone know what I’m doing wrong? Maybe I didn’t clean the surface enough after sanding? It seems the paint i...
At the end of last year I was kind of hoping that our tax return would be enough to let me buy a new big ticket tool for my workshop (I define “big ticket” as over $200.00). I knew I wanted to that tool to be a bandsaw, the question was really WHICH bandsaw to get. I googled, I did searches on You Tube, I visited manufacturers websites, I posted questions in woodworking forums. I created a comparison chart of 15 different band saws from 10 different manufacturers, comparing r...
Progress is continuing on the restoration, I’m grabbing an hour here or there to work on it. The bottom axle was pretty easy to remove after all – a block of wood and a rubber mallet got it out ok. The only stubborn part was the woodruff key on the end of the axle that (of course) had to be removed for the axle to come out. I had to mangle it a little to get it out, but I think it will be ok. If not, I’ll just order a new one from McMaster-Carr. That one damn bearin...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1558 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1583 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 275 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries