Again. Well, a trip to Lowes produced a couple of boards….3/8 by 5-1/2 wide. One was 2’ long, the other was 3’. Laid out the two planes that will go into the box. Needed a length and a width..But, before too much got done, decided to clear the deck, and clean it up a bit…. Seems it has been abused lately.. Anyway, once I got a length, I could grab a crosscut saw and saw to a line.. Just barely leaving the line.. Hey, the original “Cordless...
In this episode, I make the back from some maple stock. The back is ship lapped and will be installed in a groove in the back legs I also make a solid cherry top with a curved front. Now I will say I completely screw up the first attempt by, well just being really stupid and not paying attention to what I was doing, and using the wrong bit in my router. I do show how I recover from this mistake in the end. As always, I welcome your questions and comments! To keep up with what I’...
Well, was able to sneak downstairs to the shop for a few minutes this morning….figured out how to make a skinny board get wide enough to make the top of this box. Lengthwise, was twice as long as I needed, no biggie. Mark a line at the mid point, square it (almost) across, and cut the line. Then, I need to know how wide the panel needed to be…..a few marks later, a rip cut, and I had two pieces ready to glue up. Spread a bit of glue, rub the joint back and forth a couple t...
Well, had a heart monitor on for a few days ( taped the electrodes on, and they got ripped off…OW!) Did a short rust hunt. Couple of coping saws needed new blades…spent $2 on each saw. Already had the blades. Stopped at the Green Borg ( Menards) and got a few pieces of hardware. new brass hinges, a new “Olde Brass” Latch, and a few bags of brass screws…..NOT phillips headed ones, either. I got the ones with the slotted, oval heads. Anyway…..got b...
I grilled the Grizzly rep at length about the differences between the cast iron wheels and trunnion, and he said the cast iron was definitely superior in performance, especially in resawing, because the cast wheels being much heavier have a flywheel effect which keeps the blade moving through large pieces much more consistently, he also said the cast iron trunnion had much more precise adjustments than the steel. So I decided to buy this almost new used G0513X2 for $850.00 rather than a new G...
I started by my project by opening the book to the materials list. Then grab a board of oak and cut it down to make the rales.
In this video, I cut the curved door panels to size using the bending form I used to create them. Then I cut the veneer for the edge banding, and install it on the doors to give the illusion that they are a solid bent panel. Then install the hinges and hang them. After the doors are hung, I can start working on the curved drawer front. I cut the face of the curve on a large blank and them create the half blind dovetails for the sides. I then veneer the face of the drawer front so that the ...
Hi all I have purchased some beautiful Red Cedar and am going to try my hand at some larger joinery work. It is really lovely timber and was a very good price as the timber yard sadly is closing. This was a bundelled mixture of boards and pieces; The main piece for the top of the unit The larger boards I have cut in half and put through the thicknesser to get some lovely bookmatched boards to work with; I have sized four pieces for the legs and marked out the sha...
This morning I started out with this mahogany scrap: From which I had decided to try and make two mallets, why I hadn’t made them before I don’t know, I have tried everywhere to buy one down here, they just don’t sell them, they use their hammer, so I had imported a beech one from Amazon, which including taxes cost me $34 / £24, twice the listed price. I started off by cutting the handles on the bandsaw, as this would determine the size of the holes in the heads. ...
Now that I know the thickness of the doors, I can start working on the internal structure of the piece. I have to account for being able to put the lower shelf and divider for the drawer being put into the piece after glue up, so I have to do some unconventional things to get it to work. After I get those made, I taper the legs and do the initial glue up. Then I modify my bending jig to make the cut to separate the curved front into two doors. As always, I welcome your questions and commen...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries