Though I was traveling on business most of the month of May and only had a couple hours to spend in my shop, I had psyched myself up to participate in the 3rd Annual Summers Woodworking 2X4 contest and for the most part am happy that I did. I bet that I almost spent as much time sorting through 2X4’s at the several local Lowes and Home Depots and purchases a half dozen of them before locating my “White Whale”. It was an absolutely perfect specimen and will be the 2X4 ...
Tonight I’m replacing my weekly shop update with a Live stream at 4:30pm Pacific Time from my shop with an update on the Gamble House Rocking Chair and a live Q&A Session. You can tune here on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sjx0VWKRYI
For years I’ve wanted to build the Gamble House Living Room’s Rocking Chair. I was lucky enough to be able to visit the Gamble House and get an up-close-and-personal view of the rocker as part of my research. Since the beginning of this year I’ve been working on the sketchup plans and testing out various templates to see if the shapes I’ve come up with are in proportion and true to the original chair. I start this project in mid May and created a Playlist of all ...
This is the blog describing how i made this chair. For a long time I have had this corner of my garden that have a place for a bonfire. We use it a lot and the favorite is making pancakes using a pan on a long stick. My son loves it! But the place itself could use some help. Especially the chairs are a bit annoying. I keep them because they were a gift from a friend and have a fun story to them (they are made by the inmates of a local prison that houses long term prisoners): The ...
As my “Honey-Do” and client projects wind down a little before it really gets cold here in Swellendam, I have at last made a start on my build. A few weeks of regular scrounging at my local tip has yielded some good lumber and adding this to my off cut stack, I think that I have enough lumber to do the job. Buying the hardware kit and plans from ASFM at $500.00 means I would have been into about ZAR6,500.00 before I even made a start. So…..enter “Shipwright” w...
Took a little break from the Re-Painting scene and squeezed in some Shop Time… Can You guess what I made?Began with a scrap 2 X 4 appropriately long enough for the task at hand and shaped the first profile with the Band Saw… Since the 2 X 4 didn’t have a very flat bottom, it was clamped between two scraps of Poplar that are flat… The Clamps were Leapfrogged down the length of the big ‘Sandwich’ as it was cut…Which gave this… More Profile c...
I’m a little late catching up with my blog but as of May 6th the headstock is back on my Shopsmith and operating like a well-oiled machine. Pun intended…especially since it was in dire need of lubrication. Below is an updated photo of my “new” Shopsmith. Last night I finished removing all of the rust off of the bandsaw table and hopefully this weekend I will get it mounted back onto the bandsaw. I had to call in a little machine work from my dad since one of the up...
Recently, As many of you may remember. LOL! I have built a band saw support jig for resawing small logs on my band saw. I have been struggling to get the widest blade on my GO555 14 inch Grizzly with riser. Ordered a 5/8 th Woodmiser clone 3 tpi and I am still trying to get 3 good blades from the company. Went to my “go to” Olson Blades and purchased a 5/8ths that works with no problems. I know it’s not my saw. I also did a blog on a ruff cutting straight ed...
I recently uploaded a new video to my youtube channel, I will post the link up at the bottom. I have been wanting to post up more videos of project builds and some other shop related things so a while back i posted up one video of me carving a wood spirit using a Dremel tool, this was my first video. a few days ago i posted up my second video of simple wood cutouts. It was easy to shoot and a fast project and using very limited tools. I am hoping to shoot more videos as the time goes on but ...
Monday May 4th I took my 1958 Shopsmith 3/4 horsepower motor down to the electrical motor shop and found out that I had a bad capacitor. However, after replacing the capacitor the motor still wouldn’t run and the guy at the repair shop recommended replacing the start-up relay. Being the mechanic that I am and having rebuilt starters before I figured there shouldn’t be too much of a difference between the contacts in this relay and the ones for the starter solenoid, except the si...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 218 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries