continuing on this project, i have already made the wheels out of used HDF materials from the doors of a broken cabinet. I fashioned out a quick jig for cutting the wheels on my table saw. the simple jig on my table saw made of 1/4” playwood. .I made 4 wheels and cut away the inner circles of the two and attached them on the remaining wheels with glue and screws. .and tested them on the frame. .I have also made the crowns on the wheels using the same jig on my table saw. But...
I decided it was high time I quit clamping a piece of wood to my bandsaw table whenever I needed a fence, and upgraded to something more easily adjustable. Based on a design for a drill press fence in a recent Woodsmith Small Shops book, I came up with this cleat style fence. I used 2×4’s for the front and back rails, putting the 45 degree angle on them with my table saw. I bolted them to the existing threads on my bandsaw’s fence. The fence is a piece of cherry, and t...
Ok, as you can tell, I am in the process of totally “pimping” out my Delta 14” bandsaw lately. So, the next step is dust collection. My bandsaw is the worst dust maker in the shop. It leaves the air and my lungs full of fine maple powder. All I can do is wear a respirator and wait for a while until it comes out of the air and gives all the surfaces in my shop a nice coating. So, has anybody seen articles on, or actually tried adding dust collection to a classic style ...
In the last two weeks, I have bought the two pieces of equipment that I have been looking for and now I think my shop is complete as far as vintage power tools are concerned (until I see something else). I have a Rockwell/Delta drill press, but for me it just wasn’t old enough. I walked into the auction house as a way to get away from Trick-or-Treat night. Wasn’t really looking for anything but then I heard this little beauty calling my name: It is a Companion (Com...
Well while I’m waiting to find the new shop, I ran into a problem with my 14 inch Rockwell band saw. 5 inch cedar bogged her down. The original 3/4 hp motor just doesn’t have the ponies to get-r-dun.I was at a yard sale the other day and bought an old air compressor. I had to change the pulley to the smallest one Applied Technologies had for the shaft size, 7/8 inch.The new motor is a 2 hp 120/240v. This ought to make the old girl chew up anything I put to her. Both the old motor ...
I got 2 1” Timberwolf blades from Suffolk Machinery Corp. – 2TPI and 3TI – several months ago, and have been dying to try them out ever since. In that time I had several more projects, mom’s 10-day long yearly visit, my best friends’ wedding, a project I built for that (that I should post one of these days), and so much else. I didn’t want to use them until I had a resawing jig ready to go, so realizing that time was now, I jumped on it yesterday, later in ...
For any of you that have not settled on your design yet, don’t worry. I am just going to address this part of the preparation stage since I have the time. This whole collaboration is set up to be flexible around everyone’s schedule and timetable. The information will be here when you are ready for it. Most of the time, I just end up drawing a design directly onto the wood. I do this out of poor planning and being what some folks might call lazy. The better way is definitely to draw your de...
So I rescued a 12” Craftsman band saw a couple of weeks ago. The price was right in my wheelhouse … $0. Not knowing if I will really use a band saw that much, it seems like a prudent investment. A cursory inspection indicated that it was worth hauling home. A little research revealed that it was 70’s vintage which I put down as a plus since I’ve got it in my head that Craftsman was better made back then then it is now. That’s probably just my latent geezer-n...
about 5 weeks ago i bought an old bandsaw for $100 and have just finished restoring it. originally it had a 1/3 horse motor but it appears that some time in the 60s someone replaced it with a 1 horse motor. here it is after i brought it home and cleaned the table i used a wire brush then proceeded to treat it with linseed oil and then johnson wax just to make sure it wont rust again for a while i also set to work taking it all apart and checking everything as well as oiling the uppe...
I spent the day with my brother visiting different sawmills and log yards in Elmira, Ontario. I took some quick video while on my travels, have a look and I hope you enjoy.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries