The last time I used my band saw it started acting up. I had a hard time steering the cut, but I got through it. It was just a band saw box. Today I discovered what the problem was. For whatever reason, perhaps my wheel tilting adjustment is loose, the blade was not between the guide blocks. It’s just a, 1/8 inch blade, so there’s not much fudge room. It wasn’t the saw, it was my set up! So if your band saw blade is wandering around, check your guide blocks! [Fun ...
Started assembling my Craftsman 14” Band Saw today. Aside from a broken minor plastic part discovered during unpacking everything seems to be going together easily. Instructions are reasonably laid out. A few items I would have worded differently and added better illustrations. Left assembly in process for tonight. Still have table to bolt to trunnion and tune the saw. Not the fanciest saw on the block, but I think it will do as a starter or possibly for several years if my need...
I had a eureka moment last night. How to get the false bottoms on the bins to slide in and out? I had envisioned two pieces of thin plywood or hardboard, sliding out through the sides, which allow all the collected Legos to fall out through the open bottom. I had devised a few different ways to achieve this goal, but all of them included little guide rails sandwiching the moving part. It was all very complicated and involved tiny pieces. Then it came to me: why not just cut the bottom o...
After a quick check on the wounded drawer to see how things were drying, I came to the conclusion that my repair work accomplished it’s goal. The drawer is nice and sturdy again after the glue. However, I’m a little concerned about the depth of the router cut. I may have to redo this one. I decided to shelve the drawers and move on with the other trickery needed to finish the top. I need to make the little bins on the wings that will collect Legos the kids scoop off the main play surfa...
*Note, this post is image heavy. If you want to see all the pictures, click here see my woodworking blog.* I had a simple goal today—get the drawer fronts all cut out and shaped.Drawer Fronts I started on the drawer fronts today. First I made a template of the shape I wanted to cut out for a finger pull. I used 1/4” plywood I had laying around. Then I clamped the template to my 3 1/2” poplar planks and traced the same cutout pattern. Using my drill press, I punched out the wast...
After driving myself really crazy this year I finally broke down and purchased a Band Saw. I had been looking at everything from a Rigid 14 to Laguna 14LTE to a Grizzly 17. However all through the process I kept wondering what would I do with the thing. 99.999% of the projects I’ve done are using table saw, drill press, planer, jointer. And on rare instance a jig saw. What gives me angst goes back a few years ago when I started building a corner of my barn into a workshop. ...
This post is fairly image heavy—I’ll post a few here but to see all the images, please visit my woodworking blog) Accomplished a fair amount today. Before I got to work, I dusted off the base and the legs one final time and then primed the legs …and painted the base. It’s hard to tell, because I used white primer and white paint, but trust me, it looks nice in person. I put on two thin coats and used up almost a whole can of spray paint, but it sure does look ...
A New Mallet To get back in the game, so to speak, I decided on a project that would be easy and fun, plus something I knew how to construct already and—and had the supplies on hand. That was a tall order, but a mallet fits the bill perfectly. I had an extra 3/4” x 3 1/2” Maple plank laying about in the overhead bins and decided why not put it to good use? I had originally purchased it for some project that was never started—I don’t even remember how long ago I bought the wood, but it’s...
I should preface this blog with a note about myself. I recently shed most of my power tools in favor of old hand tools, like Stanley Planes, Disston saws, and old Braces/Bits and eggbeater drills. This was around December of 2014 (about 9 months ago as of this writing). The two power tools I decided to keep in the shop were a band saw and a drill press. Problem was, I didn’t own a band saw (at least not a decent one). So the search began. I hemmed and hawed about it, researched, a...
Has anyone seen one of these? I got it at auction for $145 today. No tags or numbers. 24” throat, heavy as a battle ship. Any thoughts would be appreciated.Marv
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1696 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 92 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1721 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 403 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 287 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 204 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 191 entries
- Dave Rutan - 191 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries