This is an overview post of how I went about building this box. You can read a more indepth article on my blog Building a box from scrap wood and upcycled bamboo Or watch it be built on Youtube To start I gather up all the small cut offs of 8/4 wood I could find to make the legs. Ripped them to approximate length on my band saw and jointed them square. Cut to length at the table saw using a stop on the miter gauge For a quick and easy joint between the legs and sides I used the...
“Necessity is the mother of invention” as the old saw goes. When I was researching the scroll saw that I got, I found that the special T-wrench was missing. So I looked it up and found that it is metric and 3.5mm. 3.5mm is not really a standard size as I found. They aren’t included in sets of hex wrenches and to buy a T-wrench of that kind would cost more than I’m willing to spend. Then I just looked online for a normal Allen key that was 3.5mm and found that...
Imitate bamboo on the latemight become magic Even I prefer things are real and showing what they are, then I must admit I always had a fascination for imitated bamboo, perhaps just because I have seen it in beautiful furniture making in the period of the great interest and inspiration from Asia. ‘Furniture made in imitation of real bamboo in the 18thC and usually crafted from strong woods such as beech and turned, carved and painted to resemble bamboo. Also late victorian furnitur...
Howdy Folks, I just bought some bamboo ply to build some nice kitchen drawer liners.I plan to build using box joint and mortises for the construction.Do any of you have any tips for working with bamboo as far a glue is concerned? Thanks so much, Ken
I tried my hand at drawboring for the first time today, inspired by Peter Follansbee's hearty endorsement (skip to 10:00, and then 20:00 for the impatient). The project in question is a toolbox made from salvaged pine. I was pleased with how the mortised sides turned out, so I didn’t want to spoil the look with fasteners. Enter the drawbore: The perfect solution to cinch up those joints and make the pesky cracks disappear. As for the choice of peg material, split oak is common...
Just thought I’d post this unique christmas gift I got; A bamboo wood iPad case. My brother got an Ipad 2 so he gave me his old one, which is in brand-new condition. The case looks great but boy was it a hassle to get on. It was too tight and would not fit. Heres my thoughts on why this is: I’m guessing it was made in a more humid environment, and when it was made, it fit perfectly. But when it was shipped to Canada, a more dry climate, it shrunk slightly. Anyhow, I ma...
Newest addition to the ongoing project is a new table for my mini lathe. I had issues before with chips/dust collecting under the motor, causing it to get extremely hot. My solution to this was to use the table saw dust collection hood that I had laying around and inset it into the table top. I feel this will adequately stop the dust from collecting, as well as cause a stream of cool air to constantly be passing by the motor, causing it to run much cooler. After I get a chance to test o...
I was the fortunate recipient of a load of oak, ash, birch, maple, jatoba and some bamboo today. Thank you Eric. In this lot there were some strips of 1/2” & 3/4” thick solid core bamboo plywood. I know people sell bamboo cutting boards. So,I was thinking of cutting these into strips, stand them on edge, gluing them together and would end up with an end grain bamboo cutting board. Will this stuff glue easly? I know some woods don’t glue very well. Anyone have any...
As I said in the previous blog, I had today off. It made for a short 3 day weekend. I have to say that my weekends always go super fast. I think it’s because I have a ton to do, so I always end up getting busy doing things I don’t want to do. For instance, I had to drive to get my daughter today and she lives 1 hour away. It took almost 3 with traffic. It’s not that I didn’t want to get her, it’s that I didn’t want to drive. Plus I wanted to go a lot...
Today I got back onto the Gracie project. It’s been awhile since I really spent time on it. I was able to sand everything and started the staining process. Today I stained the belt black, as well as the letters accross the chest. It’s very tedious work. In case your wondering about bleeding into other areas, it turns out that the glue holding the inlay in helped prevent it pretty good. My hands aren’t as steady as they used to be, but I still was able to keep between t...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 275 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 229 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries