This is a case that I made from 1/4” & 1/8” Baltic Birch plywood, used to store my wireless audio gear.
Small workbench based on shipbuilt's Short Block V8 (Workbench Challange) #3: Leg stretchers, assembly bolts and bottom shelf.
This part was very straight forward, The stretchers were assembled from 3 strips of 3/4” BB glued together with Biscuits to help keep everything aligned. The center strip is 1/2” longer to make a tendon. Next I made a router template to make the mortises in the legs. At that point it was just a matter of laying them out and cutting them. While I had the legs out I needed to make clearance slots for the 2 dog holes on each side of the left side leg. ...
Well, the tops have taken longer than I anticipated. But it has turned out nice. The original Short Block V8 designed with a Torsten box top but I wanted a solid top. After lots of consideration I decided that I wanted the top to be Baltic Birch laminated on edge for the top. This would be consistent with the leg construction and would make for a very solid top. However this presented an issue as Baltic Birch is not cheap (best price here in Oregon, USA is $55.00 for a 5×5’ sheet...
Small workbench based on shipbuilt's Short Block V8 (Workbench Challange) #1: Concept and leg assembly
ConceptI have been needing a proper workbench for a while. The top of my table saw and fold up extension have been the only spot to use. I would love to have a large proper workbench but my shop is just too small for a full size bench. I have been looking at benches in Lumberjocks and marking some for reference. shipwright had come up with some excellent ideas. His concept for the Short Block V8 is a low cost way for a beginner to get a strong, stable small workbench using tools that many b...
Howdy, I tried to post part 3 of this blog yesterday and ran into trouble. The wi-fi card finally gave up the ship. It had been aching to be replaced for a few months. Last night, it stopped complaining altogether. It’s HISTORY. That the second fix to this PC in 3 days. Grrr…. Oh yeah – part 3. Not a lot to share. I got the desk top sanded down to 320 yesterday. Then I rubbed in the first coat of tongue oil. Len had already warned me about the way the plywood was go...
Howdy, I’ve been working on my son’s desktop for a while now. I have a Christmas due date so I had to get a move on. The desk frame took me all weekend. That really surprised me. I imagine I could go a lot faster If I didn’t fly by the seat of my pants all the time. A plan might be helpful. Any how, I’m using rabbit joint joints for the first time and they came with a whole bundle of lessons. They didn’t come out perfect but I believe I can do better next t...
Put on two coats of Deft semigloss, then made drawer pulls and door handles from recycled ebony piano keys, added an interior baltic birch panel and the most important thing, I got The cabinet mounted on the wall. The moulded edge was masked off and two coats of stain applied prior to gluing the door frame, now that the surrounding parts are finished, the color difference is hardly noticeable, my experiment worked kinda, oh well…Still have a load of decisions to make to figure ou...
One of the most exciting orders that I have received since I opened my Etsy shop a year ago was two sets of nesting boxes that I designed and made for a magazine located in New York. I don’t have pictures of the process but I do have pictures of the finished product.
The cabinet is on the wall and hasn’t fallen off . It’s time to finish the door interiors and install them. I made racks for the chisels and found that by moving the interior door even with the edge of the box I had room for a rack to hang mallets. I then laid out my squares on the interior door and made hangers for them and installed the door. Before I can hang the door boxes I need to do something about storage for the #12 1/2 scraper. It won’t fit...
First thing to go in the interior is the plane till. I’m using 1/4” birch plywood supported by 3/4” fir plywood. The till supports will be glued and screwed in along with the upper shelf (this will give some added support to the back when mounting on the wall). Everything else will be screwed in so it is will be easy to modify or change. Laying out the planes. Supports glued in. Till in and separators installed Lower insert glued up and fit. This will provide...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries