This blog entry is a continuation of an earlier blog post titled Making Two Sets of Heirloom Saws: The Gent's Saw and The Table Saw. The making of these saws is an ideal topic for a blog series, but I unfortunately didn’t think of that when I made the original post. I’ve now turned this into a series, but there is no way to go back and incorporate the original post into the series. That is why this post shows as #1 of the series even though it is about the third saws in the sets....
So I went to my local salvage/resale store today looking for anything cool they might have up in the tool section. After rummaging through all the junk I found a complete postwar Stanley #4 bench plane for $3.00, some halfway decent rasps for $0.25 each, and few other odds and ends. As I was leaving I decided to dig through all the hand saws they had jammed in an old slop sink. After going through about 30 of them I came across an early Disston. I looked at it for a little while and the handl...
Project was put on hold for almost two days….van needed work, had three planes needing rehab…..finally got some time in the Dungeon shop this evening… The bottom shelf is out of the clamps, and cleaned up. Will cut to final size WHEN I find out what it will be.. laid out for the long aprons/stretchers. Hmmmm, foot of the legs is a bit too small. Had to cut a larger “flat” where the stretchers will go….and still keep them off the floor, too. trim...
With the jointed boards smoothed of tool marks and lumber yard stamps I’m ready to dovetail. I chose 1:6 ratio since I’m using pine, and will cut the tails first. I chose to lay out a tail 1” from the edge of long boards then used my dividers to space out my tails so that the opposite edge has a tail 1” from the edge of the board. Once I was happy with that I decided to go with 1” wide tails and drew out the boards and began cutting them out with my only back...
Well, the lower back settled down for a while…..set with a HOT heating pad on it for a day and a half. Could finally walk more than 10’ without going OUCH! Got bored sitting around, didn’t have anything to “baste” the back with while it was baking.. meandered SLOWLY down the steps to the Dungeon Shop…..stairs and my back are NOT are speaking terms to each other. Had the correct tools back from the Loft Bed Project in one hand, and a pine 1×6 in ...
So after restoring the Brace and Bit last week I got really hooked on restoring old tools. There is something about old tools… that is really amazing and bringing them back to life is so much fun. Ok so to make one thing clear, I like restoring these tools and using them, not just collecting them. I think that these tools where made to be used not just put up for display. I also filmed the restoration process and the video is here: So this week I won an Ebay auction and for $10 I go...
Picked up a S Biggin & Sons backsaw on the e place, it is in transit as we speak. Can’t find much info on this company or saw. I want to know how rare it is and if it can be dated. Any thoughts or critique of the saw? Thanks.
We all have that one project we’re loath to start (in some cases it may be more like 100 projects), due to the degree of perceived difficulty inherent to the restore. In my recent case it was a small Disston Saw. Not sure of the model, but I picked it up at a flea market for 15 bucks a few years ago… it was straight but snagle toothed and filed 7-8 point cross-cut. Far too coarse for steel that thin. I had thought to make it a 11 or 12 ppi rip saw for large pine dovetails. ...
Saws: Restoring, Collecting, Using – My 7 Month Journey It has been seven months since my first post on Lumberjocks. The motivation for that first post was to try to locate a medallion for a $3 British-made handsaw I purchased on eBay. Little did I know at the time what lay ahead for me on the journey of saw restoration and collecting. Photo: My $3 saw that started it all.. Now, with summer coming on and my attention, of necessity, turning more towards catching up on all my outsi...
Shop’s Log: May 5 2014 Having been working on some saw cleanups, modifcations, restorations and refurbs, I was finally ready to tackle a project that has been sitting in the saw till for over a year. Last March, I picked up an 8 inch Disston at an antique shop for a very reasonable amount. I thought at the time all it was going to need was cleaned up and sharpened, but alas, it was not to be. When cleaning up the plate, I found a 1/2in long crack at the toothline. I ha...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries