Last step in the process (well not the last – but close to it – still have to get back over there and paint, or otherwise seal the endgrain, which hasn’t done much in the way of checking with all the freezing temps and the moisture we’ve been getting) ...I set up a level ‘foundation’ for the lumber stack. Made sure it was up off the ground and spaced the beams just under 2ft apart:.........Here’s a couple shots of the progress. My wife helped me h...
Here’s a little more ‘milling around’ for fun:........ This board turned out to have some really interesting spalting…........ And, upon closer examination:........... One with our stacks:........ And our final parting shot! ........ This concludes the milling process. What a blessing it was to have Mike’s support in this process. I can thank LJ for that! And a HUGE thanks to Mike directly! That was a lot of fun last Wednesday. Just amazing what can come f...
At the end of this short video you’ll see me look up at Mike. If you listen closely you can hear the saw hit some more metal….... .... At some point after the next few cuts we hit our 3rd and 4th nails within the same board:........ But, look what we have here!........ Here’s a shot of the “scene” at this point (there’s a few board feet of sawdust):........ We’ll finish up the sawing in the next installment…We uncovered a real gem just a bit ...
After the slabbing cut, we continued to cut the first half of the log. Here’s a short video of Mike on the saw….... .... After a few cuts we hit a nail…pulled the saw out and cut from the other end…chipped a tooth but nothing really terrible; the chain was still relatively sharp, so we continued to cut!............ Here’s the spalting a bit closer up…it gets even better in the 2nd half!....... .... A bookmatch shot for fun…........ MORE TO COME!....
On the same cold, crisp, gorgeous day in Sunny Seattle…the next thing we did was mount a 2×12x12 to the top of the 1st half of the maple log as a guide board to establish our first flat face from which we could continue to cut with just the chainsaw mill. The 2×12 had 2×2 runners screwed on to it to keep it flat and a wee bit more ridgid. One hooked over the edge, while the other was inset a few inches to “shim” the board to “level” it out (all ...
Well, today was the day that fellow LJ, Mike Lingenfelter, and I got to the milling of that maple log in the next door neighbor’s yard… After talking the plan of attack out for awhile, we determined that we’d halve the 35-40” diameter log in two, prop ‘em up on edge to mill them. Our reason was simple: the saw, with the 36” bar and 36” milling attachment, would only give us around a 30” wide maximum cut. So, this log was just a bit too ...
Another step in the process: I was able to get out and pick up the saw, a Stihl 046, and the 36” Alaskan mill. I may not realistically get to the cutting stage for another week or two, but the excitement has not passed. I’m looking forward to it…just need to find a whole day that I can take to work on this…and those are rare! I’m also working on a bed frame – so there’s gonna be some juggling of time and resources around here! Also, I may loo...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1043 parts
- Extremely Average - 325 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 85 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Just for Fun... - 72 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 64 parts
- 52 Weeks - 52 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1065 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 384 entries
- Ecocandle - 326 entries
- dbhost - 318 entries
- Martin Sojka - 294 entries
- Karson - 288 entries
- MsDebbieP - 283 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- William - 213 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Stevinmarin - 198 entries
- mafe - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 182 entries
- Rustic - 182 entries
- PurpLev - 159 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 146 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries