So I started working on the first box tonight. I am working with 1/2” walnut that I ordered from WoodCraft. I had decided to take 1” off the front of the prototype and add 1” in width instead. Now the inside compartment can comfortably hold an iPhone or Droid. First I ripped the board to 2” wide then proceeded to cut it to 4 pieces each 6” long. Next I routed out a 1/2” dado for the dividing wall slot. After routing a dado for the box botto...
Thanks to some advice on the forums as well as some great reviews and piles of other useful stuff about a variety of table saws, I decided on the Ridgid R4511. Of course, it helped that there was a sale this weekend…perfect timing. Given I’m not unnaturally gorilla-like, I opted to have HD deliver the 450lb package. The saw arrived today…what a marvel of packaging this thing is…whoever figured out how to package this saw up should make puzzles too…the bo...
I lamented last week that I just missed the closing time at the local bearing shop. I got there yesterday nice and early and they not only had the right bearings, but bearings with the exact same set of numbers stamped on the side. That gave me some confidence, even though the race covers looked a bit different. The man told me they were from their higher quality line of bearings, and here’s hoping. They were $10/ea., whereas Sears’ version were $4/ea., but I was happy to just get...
It’s the JET – JSG-96CS: 6’’ x 48’’ Belt / 9’’ Disc Sander w/ Closed Stand, 3/4HP 1Ph, 115V. It arrived by pallet in two boxes: Right away the 3/4HP motor and belt seemed bigger than I’d imagined this past year or two (this has been on my wishlist for awhile now). I had even scaled up my mental image, but it was still bigger than I thought: The closed stand is a very thick sheet metal, and heavier than I expected. It was a...
I made some good progress today and it looks like the next time I can spend a decent amount of time in the shop, I should have this thing assembled. I started today sanding the three brackets and the aprons in preparation for assembly. I noticed a decent sized dent in the face of one of the aprons and decided to try out the wet rag and iron method to raise the dent. I forgot to get pics, but it worked like a charm. As I was sanding one of the end brackets and looking at the inlay that h...
After 3 days of raining I finally was able to bring the main bed assembly up to the house to get ready for the final assembly and installation. The first thing I did was place the main assembly face down on the floor and set the outer case verticals on each side. After inseting the pivot pins of each vertical into the mating piece on the bed frame I used the E-clips to lock them in place. I then placed the head board in position and since I did not have one clamp that would span the ent...
Sketchup Models of Shop Furniture for a Small Shop #1: Mobile Shelves, Expandable Assembly Table and Materials Cart
I have a small shop, about 200SF. It’s not as small as it once was, about 90SF, and it’s not as big as what I hope to have some day, about 600SF. To keep from climbing over things and make it easier to move things around to accomdate the operation of the moment, I thought I would adopt the “everything on wheels” strategy and double up what tools I could in single cabinets. So, to make sure that I had the right designs and that everything would fit in the shop and ...
So after much research and debates, I have finally charged the card, and 2 days later the delivery arrived with the new saw in the box (I opted to have it delivered from the store as opposed to pick it up myself – at 450lbs, I simply wouldn’t be able to unload it myself) Delivery from HD was swift and smooth, positive and friendly guy stop at my place saturday morning, and helped me position the box in my garage – I couldn’t be happier (took 5 minutes, 4.5 of those was...
I have been gearing up for a particular project. In preparation I have been doing a bit of research on using hide glue. For the purist, it is best to use a glue brush without a metal ferrule. The reasoning behind this is the metal ferrule can potentially cause a black stain. There are brushes available for hide glue but there are rather expensive. For the time being, I am spending shop funds on materials and tools. The focus of this blog is to show an inexpensive alternative to an expensiv...
Refers to project posted here. The dry fit passed inspection from my quality inspector so it was time to move on to finishing. I disassembled it to three major components and put on Minwax Dark Walnut Stain. Of course I did this on my finishing/pool table. You can see the unstained head sitting on the table also. I installed the handle in the head with glue and two finish nails through the edge to hold it steady. I am using Waterlox Original Medium as a sealer and it’...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1548 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1573 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 271 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 174 entries