So, this past while I’ve been busy with finishing up school, packing to get ready to move, and starting my work term/summer job at Added Touch Stairs and Floors. The final step and the work I did on the last day at school, was milling the lumber for the side rails, and mounting the hardware. My teachers were exclaiming “Are we ever gonna get to see this thing put together! C’mon c’mon!”. Sure enough about an hour later I was getting help putting it together, my f...
Oh, yeah, it’s time to stop cutting bait and ‘fish’ for a next-level assembly with this project. In other words, this carcase has been apart and together a bunch of times for marking, cutting, and fitting rabbets and dados. All of those shelves and partitions are at the ready; there’s nothing more do do with the carcase apart that can’t just as well be done while it’s together. In the meantime, I have T&G back-cabinet material as well as face framing th...
Alright, did a lot of work the past while, even though it seems like I haven’t. I’ve been busy working!I started with the footboard, I first lined all the slats up in between the rails. This was probably one of the most frustrating parts of this whole project. Once I got them all pretty well in there, I attached the rails to the legs and that sorted out the slats for the most part. Once I did that, I noticed that my mortises and slats and stuff didn’t quite look as nice a...
We moved to our new home in northern Illinois more than a year ago and I spent a lot of time planning the shop, drawing plan after plan, searching the net for ideas and so on.To give her credit, my wife tired of the plans (even though I told her it was half the fun) and gave me a SawStop Professional Cabinet Saw for Christmas! If you wonder why I went hog-wild with a SawStop, I’ll tell you that one of my long-standing rules, even back in my days up north was “nobody gets injured, ...
Now we are ready to flip everything right side up and install the mobile base at the same time, so here goes….First we size everything to fit.It’s magic!!! In the twinkling of an eye, Oh I forgot to say Abracadabra, Presto Chango….And we have exactly 31 inches. Just what we were shooting for.And for our metric measuring Lumberjocks….Metrics!!!And we still have the Grizzly medallion and the model number is till readable.And now we get rid of the corrosion inhibitor stuf...
I was able to finish up my work table this weekend. Well, all but chamfering or rounding over the edges. I took thursday and friday off. Friday because it was beautiful. And thursday (St. Patricks Day) because it was my daughters 2nd birthday. But I got up early on thursday and made it out to pick up a couple sheets of 3/4” plywood, a plywood blade for my circular saw, and oak for the edges. While I was cutting the plywood down on friday afternoon, I either burnt up my saw or com...
In this final section of the Wine Cork Display Tutorials I will show you how I cut and glue in the miter keys. Larger Picture Version LJ Project of Finished Displays Here you can see my miter key jig. Since I cut so many miter keys for the wine cork displays and the boxes I make, I decided that a nice, large, dedicated jig would save me a lot of time. It works really well, I’ve used the heck out it. The first thing I do is figure out how far from the edge I want my keys to...
In this tutorial, I’ll show how I glue and assembly my wine cork displays. If you’re interested in a version with larger pictures, follow the link below: Bigger Picture Version Now that I’ve got my glass, I can begin the glue-up. However, I suggest sanding the inside first, one less thing to deal with later. I begin by laying my pieces down on my table with the inside facing down and the front facing away from me. I use a piece of MDF to make sure the front edges...
Well, the day came and my new Grizzly G0555X bandsaw arrived along with the moblie base and riser kit. Here, I’ll talk about how I single handedly assembled both the mobile base to fit the stand and the riser kit. My hope that whatever little inspirations I had may help someone else down the road. Let’s start with the mobile base (32 bolts and all make it quite time consuming)Here you have your choice of bolt up through the casters and nut on top or bolt on top. Personally, ...
Here's the link for the fourth post in this series. We’re at the point where the project needs to be assembled, and the care and deliberation you take in this process is going to pay big dividends when we start to apply the finish. With a project this close to completion there is a tendency to rush things – especially if a deadline (like Christmas) is looming. However, a slipup during the assembly process makes finishing much more difficult. Comments and your own tips are ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1561 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1586 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 276 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries