I had a very productive day yesterday. I was able to get the next candle tray cut out entirely, as well as sand and finish the butterfly tray and the new one. The more I work with my new saw the more I like it. I have never had a lamp that was attached to the saw like that before and it is a vast improvement over having my little task lamp and having to move it around so that I can turn my pieces when cutting. It is great that it is out of the way. There are however a couple of things ...
Well, I am started down the road now to creating a rocking horse for my granddaughter, Emma.She will be two years old this Christmas, and has now just begun to walk. So I figure, if I start it now,I’ll finish in time for this Christmas… This horse is being created loosely from the Woodsmith Rocking Horse, issue #65, with a little creative flair this time around. I last built one of these some 16 years ago, for my oldest granddaughter, who is going to graduate from high school next...
Ok here we go. If you look back to the Beginning most of the walls were up but still lots to be done. This first shot is ater the exterior was completed, my litle truck and my other pal, Ivy. Overall size 24’ x 36’ with a full second floor. Two oversized doors 8’6” x 10’ for deliveries etc. and lots of natural light with oversized windows. My wife and I unload the trucks and push the wood up to the second floor. The next shots are of the second f...
I wanted to decorate a blanket chest and I was deciding between inlays and woodburning.I decided for woodburning for 2 reasons: -I wanted to try it.-I could sand it off I messed it up. I Watched few yutube videos And read a bit to get familiar with the process. After practicing few line with my electronic solderig iron, I set to a craft store and bought a burning iron that was cheap ($16) and had several tips bundled with it. I started with a practice run on the same wood as the ches...
I have been working on a project in Cherry and before I finished the desks I decided to try out some of the General Finishes Dye stain but on the scrap test pieces the blotching was driving me nuts. I came to this site and tried all the suggestions until I came across the discussion proclaiming that Charles Neil’s pre stain conditioner was the way to go. Bought some, tried it and still had minor blotching but it works well. Watching his video he said it was a water based PVA enhanced produ...
My last cutting board project was a lot of fun but it didn’t come out perfectly because I struggled to get my wood stock to a plane & uniform thickness. Well I’ve purchased a planer and it’s time to put it to the test! I picked up some walnut, curly maple, and ash today and they ranged from slightly under 1” thickness to about 1 1/8” thickness. I planed them down to 3/4” thickness and it came out great. So now I’m going to try to make 2 more cutti...
Open: Closed: I’ve enjoyed and have been inspired by all the various Grease Boxes and I’ve got a few ideas in the future. I was first inspired by Roy’s, and I started one based on his design, but alas, it sits unfinished ‘somewhere’ in the workshop. One day I’ll finish it, when I find it. 1) In the theme of trying to come up with something different, and 2) trying to find a use for some of the scraps I have lying around all over the place, here is ...
The last post left with some work to be completed on the piece before dismount. I wanted to work the edge of the bowl a little thinner and I did some aggressive stock removal on the interior and exterior edge. This left me with the bowl here. and here I did a little more work on the side to remove the somewhat boat like appearance and give it more curve. I cut the bowl off the lathe and began running through the grits of sanding. I have more trouble spots to touch up on that wil...
I like to tease Mike (jockmike2) that he was worried about losing a student when I moved to a scroll saw project. When I showed him the progress on my scroll saw box, he gave me a piece of Ash that he cut from his firewood. A good deal of bark was on the piece and he suggested I try my hand at a bowl with a natural edge. This is my progress so far on this project. This piece was a little rough on the side opposite the bark side. I ran a chainsaw disk mounted on the angle grinder over it to...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1562 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1587 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 276 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries