Found a great little set of plans on line for this little bi-plane. http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-projects/biplane-kids-toy-plan.htmlThey are very detailed and had drawings for all the pieces. I simply placedthem on a computer and sized them accordingly and I was all set. I used some pine and some old pallet wood I had kicking around. The darker wood was from an old pallet which I salvaged from my print shop. Someone told me it was swamp wood but being a novice at this I really have no i...
After sanding, conditioning, and staining, I decided to try shelac. It worked fine. Shelac is a lot different than lacquer or polyurethane. I’m still experimenting with the finishes. (LOL, I’m still experimenting with everything). I like that Shelac drys fast. I was able to put on several coats in one day. Now I need to work on my photography
I moved on and finished the box. I cleaned up the joints, sanded and added a little filler. The lid is some kind of hardwood and I really wanted to see it finished. These are before and after sanding shots on the lid. I conditioned the wood, stained and added several coats of lacquer.
Dry assembly of the base frame for the Morris Chair I’m building. I’ll post progress as I get more time to work on it.
Early start on the road for us today and Tom didn’t mind because I took him to McDonalds for breakfast. We did our weekly grocery shopping afterward as well as picking up supplies for the Vet clinic. It really went fast and we were home before 1030. I paid bills and balanced the check book before going to the shop to finish a frame that goes around the outside of a house address sign made of terra cota that my wife and I bought two Christmas ago. I will install it tomorrow morning and then a...
I’m starting today with the glued up panels for the blanket chest. I acquired some curley maple veneer that’ll I’ll glue to 3/8” Baltic birch plywood. First up was straightening the veneer with a plasticizer. After squirting it on both sides and letting it air dry, I put the veneer between poly finished and waxed 3/4” pieces of mdf. Unprinted newspaper was used to absorb moisture. Change the paper a couple times and after a day, the veneer becomes flexible and easy to work wi...
I ended up with a very large spline after playing with the jig. No worries, this is my pallet wood pile to practice with. As far as I can tell, this is a pine box with cedar splines, top, and bottom. My first attempt at routing an edge, lot’s of burs on the end grains. What causes that? The box came out nice. I made 45 cuts and glued together with out clamps. I used tape and checked my square before leaving it to dry. It seems to sit flat on the ts. I worked...
I was fortunate to have been given a lathe by my brother-in-law after he introduced me to turning pens. I have never used my shed for woodworking and I hadn’t worked on wood since the 70’s. I googled pen kits and found a starter kit reasonably priced and made the plunge. The first two went pretty smooth. The third one split on me and required some repair work. I salvaged some small wood pieces left over from other pens, cut and glued them into place before turning to th...
An interesting thing happen on the way to the scrollsaw, so to speak. Several customers have ask for special designs the Christmas. Well without LJ’s and all the many friends and excellant examples here I would have had a much harder time. A special thanks to Shelia Landry and to Steve Good for taking time to respond to requests. Also, to many LJ’s who have responded, invarious ways, to requests for information. It seems that the more you get into this scrollsaw stuff, the more...
Several years ago I ran across an old book of Arts and Crafts style plans and copied the pages of the book containing the drawing (yes, just one drawing!) with dimensions and three paragraphs of instruction on how to build the desk. This past summer I finally purchased the rough quartersawn white oak and dimensioned it for the pieces of the project. One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned (belatedly) from starting this project is that apparently even the casual hobbyist woodworker of ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1823 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Shop stuff - 81 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1848 entries
- dbhost - 449 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 273 entries
- William - 258 entries
- robscastle - 256 entries
- shipwright - 255 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 226 entries
- bandit571 - 224 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries