I am just starting to educate myself and learn about woodworking. This house number (can you guess the numbers?) is my first project. It is done with using a coping saw and a sander. I do not have much tools yet. It is not finished yet, I probably need to either stain or paint it before hanging it outside (is it worth it?, please, tell me honestly). Any advises, suggestions, and criticism are welcome.
So I had to wait another day after re glueing my palm box back together. After I got the clamps and tape off, this is what I was faced with. I don’t like sanding glue. Ok, one step back, now two steps forward. After Re sanding the lid, several times, I have everything attached and working again. There is still a hair line fracture visible after the clean up. The lid is working much better. It even stops halfway back instead of flopping all the way open. I...
Hello fellow woodies iam new to all this blog/post thing so bare with me. i have recently bought ( not yet received ) 4 Kanna from a guy in australia. my big Q is does anyone know the makers of these kanna? These planes have not been sharpened and not adjusted. From left KITANIHON Blade width 56mm.?Body size 242mm x 70mm x 32mm. KAKURI Blade width 60mm.?Body size 259mm x 75mm x 33mm. KIZASHI Blade width 59mm.?Body size 260mm x 75mm x 34mm. KOSADO ...
I make simple boxes, mostly of cedar with poplar inlays. There are many fine ways to make boxes and this is about the simplest. I make them 11”x8”x2 1/2” deep with hinged lid. 8” is my limit of the width of wood so anything over that will have a splice in it, which I avoid doing. I start by planeing and re-sawing the 1” thick rough eastern red cedar to 3/8” thickness on my band saw. I then cut strips to 2 1/4” to form the sides ...
As anyone knows who has glanced at my postings, I owned (still do but trying to sell) a Porter Cable scrollsaw. YES I had my rants about it but, all in all, I think that I made it produce to its maximum level. I never understood its problems because it was the only scrollsaw that I had ever owned. AND YES I defended it as an entry price scrollsaw because I feel that some just can’t afford the higher priced units BUT should still try the art of scrollsawing. I DID. Now with some extra money...
I loved the palm boxes I saw being made before Christmas. With no original wood working ideas or experience of my own, I have to copy. Plus I was running out of money for hardware on the other boxes and the palm boxes didn’t need any hardware. I posted my first box in the finished projects already. This box needed a begining, so I started out with the size. I used a dollar bill as the base size to build from. So with the boards marked, I cut the pieces. Ok, some of you ...
So i am embarking on my biggest and most involved project to date. My wife has wanted nightstands for our bedroom for quite awhile, and now that my shop is very well setup i’m going to give it a shot. We did alot of research for a design that we liked. Myself being a lover of all things G&G but my skill level being no where near what’s needed i had to comprimise. We settled on an A&C look that i began modifying. Being an architect by trade i was able to take an idea...
Found a great little set of plans on line for this little bi-plane. http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-projects/biplane-kids-toy-plan.htmlThey are very detailed and had drawings for all the pieces. I simply placedthem on a computer and sized them accordingly and I was all set. I used some pine and some old pallet wood I had kicking around. The darker wood was from an old pallet which I salvaged from my print shop. Someone told me it was swamp wood but being a novice at this I really have no i...
After sanding, conditioning, and staining, I decided to try shelac. It worked fine. Shelac is a lot different than lacquer or polyurethane. I’m still experimenting with the finishes. (LOL, I’m still experimenting with everything). I like that Shelac drys fast. I was able to put on several coats in one day. Now I need to work on my photography
I moved on and finished the box. I cleaned up the joints, sanded and added a little filler. The lid is some kind of hardwood and I really wanted to see it finished. These are before and after sanding shots on the lid. I conditioned the wood, stained and added several coats of lacquer.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1815 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1840 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 222 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- bandit571 - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries