I’ve been pretty productive over my holiday break. I received a new 3/8” up cut router bit and collet. I tried finishing up the mortise on the breadboard ends on my router table, but was still getting a lot of vibration and weird sounds from my router. I tried slowing the speed down even more, but that didn’t help. I ended up going back to my plunge router base with guides to finish them up. I was concerned about using this setup, since I would be routing a pretty dee...
Working on a Craftsman side table for the living room. I started with a design I purchased from Woodsmith magazine, and redrew it in Sketchup to change a few things. The original design was narrower, had side spindles instead of slats, and a smaller drawer. I am making it out of cherry, and I’m thinking of using walnut for the top, and maybe the drawer front. The drawers will be maple with a plywood bottom. I have purchased the cherry wood, and now to get started!
I have some time off for the holidays, so I’ve got the top glued up. This took three days to accomplish. I put together a long ripping jig to to get a straight edge on all of the boards. I had an old oak shelf with a machined edge on it, and I used a couple of scrap blocks screwed to the board. I could then screw through the blocks into the edge of the boards to hold them while I ripped a straight edge on them. I made sure to have the top up on one edge and down when cutting the ot...
I have recently, for the most part, usually (!), been keeping busy with running my household, driving kids in circles for extra-curricular activities, fiber crafts (crochet, spinning) and trying to learn how to sew in order to create garb for our new SCA hobby, but I have also managed to find a little time to doodle with some wood carving. This is my current work in process. I had this stick, some unidentified hardwood. I had no plan, but it is turning out to a piece resembling native Amer...
I trekked to the local lumber mill this morning, and picked through their pile of 5/4 cherry looking for a couple more boards for the top. I also took the rest of the top boards since my planer sled can only handle 4’. They jointed one face and rough planed them all for $8. I have them stickered and weighed down in the basement for a day or two to let them settle a bit. I also picked up a piece of 5/4 soft maple to start the drawer boxes. I’ve never worked with soft mapl...
The front apron and drawer fronts we the next thing to tackle. The front apron is pretty straight forward, but it has four walnut accent pieces inset in it. The walnut pieces are faceted to mirror the through tenons. Also there a four slots routed on the back of it to hold the drawer supports. The drawers were a straight forward as well. I just needed to be careful since I am using one piece so the grain matches from one drawer to the next. It took me two tries on the drawer fronts, b...
Here is a neat little Christmas project. I built mine out of 1/4” baltic birch plywood and a piece of 1/4” oak. I did a video on the build and you can view it on You Tube, here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtBROCtyd-U Thanks for watching and I hope you enjoy the video and the build. Paul / paulsmessyworkshop
It is with a doubt one of greatest satisfaction of wood working the finished project. For me that is the best part. Okay actually the best part is the process to get to that point. I enjoy the sanding of the wood, whether I am sanding that piece by hand or a palm sander, taking that piece to smooth as possibly can be done, then applying the stain whether i am brushing it on or wiping, though i prefer the wipe on method. Then putting on the shellac usually three coats, then adding another coup...
The second part of the leg glue up is pretty complicated. Luckily, my Father In-Law was in town for the holidays and he gave me a hand getting all the parts in place. For the through tenons, I used a small amount of glue on the faces of the tenons to minimize squeeze out. Once the legs and “window frame” pieces were all clamped up, I taped off around the mortises. I then forced glue into the top and bottom of the mortise before driving the walnut wedges in place. Removi...
I was in need of a little shelf to hold an alarm clock in my guest room. I decided to make one out of an old book. The difference between this and other floating books that are out there is that this one has a hidden compartment built inside! I’ve included the build video if you’re interested in making one yourself. View on YouTube
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1814 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1839 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- bandit571 - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries