As promised here is the latest design created this week. Look back each week to see what I will create next.This was drawn up in the morning,cutout, sanded and assembled that evening. The tail was taken from the Dragon’s tail or hinge design. I used google images of the real stegosaurs for my hand drawing. My wife is helping me to promote the Etsy storefront.Thanks to Tim and those who commented on my photos I am now using this dollar tree foam light box we made.I know this ...
Here I glue up the rough cut legs. They are made of 3 separate pieces laminated together to make one very strong, thick legs. The ones that have some slight variation color between the layers will be the back legs and strategically turned so they still look like solid legs. I then ran them through the planer to bring them down to their final dimensions. After carefully laying out the placement of the mortises, I drill most of the material out with a 1/2” forstner bit. I then came bac...
After checking and rechecking my layout of the cuts, I nervously began to make my first cuts to bring all the pieces down to rough size. I made sure to oversize all the pieces by at least 1/4”, so I could more carefully bring down to the final size on the planer, tablesaw and eventually some hand chiseling and planing.
I haven’t posted in awhile. I have finally found some time to show my progress. I purchased the lumber at the end of September and began to mark out on the wood where my cuts would be. I used a light blue chalk to show up well on the dark wood. I also marked a letter on each piece to correspond to my cutlist and assembly instructions with a grease pencil, so it would not smudge or rub off easily during the breakdown of the wood, but not stain as a marker would. Some of the boards ...
We’ll the file cabinet is finally finished. I applied 3 coats of Arm R Seal satin with a new T-shirt. This is the first time I’ve worked with this product, and I really like it. It is much thinner than Minwax, and goes on very easy and was pretty forgiving. I let it dry at least 6 hours between coats, and scuffed it with 0000 steel wool after the second coat. The final coat went on silky smooth with no real dust specs that I can find. I like the satin finish, and will use it...
Making progress – finished 4 bishops. The link to my YouTube video is here: http://youtu.be/U2gRbqZxhAo Amazing how much fun you can have learning something new! The Knights are next – sheesh – I have no idea how I’m gonna do those yet… Comments and especially suggestions from other turners are indeed welcome! James
I was able to connect with a local cabinet shop and they will give me all of their drop-offs I want. Now it will mostly be Baltic birch plywood and oak (for face frames). My wife says, “you don’t use that type of wood”. I am going to rethink some things and see if there is an area to use some or all of this. One area I sell to is the senior market. It will be great to product items for this market and sell at a low price. More on this operation later.
A question was asked in part 1 of this series on how to flatten the top… I started replying in the comment thread, but decided to just make it part 2. I’m investigating building a dining table myself. What is involved in “flattening” the table top? Any special tools or large equipment required? I ve seen people use parallel rails and a router sled for rounds and slabs, I suppose that might work? As with most woodworking tasks, there are multiple ways to accomplish...
Here you can find all the link to the Maritime show. I featured as the spot light on Jan 3 7:oopm EST come check it out. http://www.mfwoodshop.com/2015/01/the-woodworkers-weekend-shop-talk/#more-720
Thanks for the comments and suggestions on my last post. I don’t have a dado blade yet, but after a quick search I found a box joint jig for a single blade table saw. It is basically a drill bit that is the same size as the kerf of the saw blade stuck into a piece of wood. I did a test cut in some plywood and found a drill bit that just fit. I then drilled an undersize hole in some scrap wood and pressed the bit into place. The only restriction here is that the bit be closer to the...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1507 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1531 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 252 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries