So, I just posted my entry about working on my daughter’s dollhouse. Well, about halfway through that, I was interrupted when my wife commissioned me to actually make something out of wood with a purpose. The conversation went something like this: Her: I need to stop at home depot and get some pvc pipe to make a thing for our son to store his swords. Me: ... um… Or, I could make a sword rack out of wood. Her: You’re still not giving up on this woodworking tangen...
I have suceeded in reaching my goal of posting the completed project by the end of the week !! Here is the next piece of furniture in my office. One I have been looking forward to. The Ottoman I will be posting it as project shortly, but wanted to finish out the blog series on it. Like the rest of my office furniture it is General Finishes Antique Oak finish with 2 coats of poly. I did somethinga a little different this time and used a spray can poly. I really like the way it came out a...
Well it has not been as long between furniture projects as the last time but still a bit. This time I am working on my ottoman. I have finished assembling the frame this evening and plan to work on the finishing and the upholstered top this week with a little sewing help from my wife. Here is here a few pics of what has happened so far. The paper you see at the top are my basic plans. I am really bad at plans, this or a general layout in PowerPoint are how I do most of my planning. Fr...
In early December, a little more than a week before I flew home, I decided to make mom a cutting board. However, the garage was a mess. I spent some time figuring out what I could attack, cleaning off the back table to use for flattening the board after the glue-up, building the router sled and rails to perform the flattening, and as a slipped-in, totally unrelated side project, I built a quickie rolling lathe stand on the cheap, as I’m still looking for work. When I say “on the c...
Ok, So this coming week I will be married for 5 years (how time flies). It just happens that the traditional gift for a 5th anniversary is wood (How lucky!). I wanted to do something a little different and beyond what I have done before. After looking at various ideas on the web for small boxes to put something else in.. I found RunnerDucks small keepsake box. I thought this was a great idea and would hold the other gift well. So I decided to first make a prototype out of what else.. a 2×...
On July 3rd I threw together a chair to bring to the 4th party the following day. I decided to use up some scrap 2×4s. I had no plan, no chair experience, and about 5 hours time in which to make it, so I just sort of winged-it, inventing as I went. Here’s the test-fit of the cut pieces for which I used my miter saw and band saw. It looked somewhat chair-like, at least. I used countersunk deck screws and glue. I banged pieces around in the clamps to get everything exac...
Well I’m impressed. via videosift.com Just watch those fingers, everyone.
If you recall the enormous gum tree logs I rescued recently, you might have wondered how I was going to move them all. Crushing manly strength alone? Nah, I was still pretty shot after lifting them into the truck in the first place. I slapped together a dolly out of scrap 2×4s (left over from the log rack shelves) with deck screws and some pocket holes (and screws), and a pair of rubber wheels and matching axle bolts that I ended up not needing for another project about a month back. ...
Welcome to another installment of the chess corner. Today’s topic is turning queens on the lathe.A queen’s base diameter is usually around 1 3/4” and the height around 3 3/4”. I use a caliper to measure while turning and turn everything gradually usually in three parts. The base, the stem of the piece and the crown and bring a pencil to the workpiece while it’s still turning after it has been turned round to mark the three segments and the decorative rings. This ...
Getting much closer. The finally assembly takes shape. It is a Krenov type cabinet. Maybe a disservice to the Master trying to build one out of a 2×4, but I wanted the largest piece of furniture that I could build, and this is what appeared. It has been fun. I am trying to figure out how to complete it. The door is not attached. It is about an eighth of an inch thick. The plan was to glue a block to the inside top and bottom of the door and use finishing nails as hinge pins. T...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1297 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 101 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1319 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries