Glue up half a dozen bits of board to make the block.,I used Tassie Blackwood and then bandsaw the back off at about 1/4 inch [ sorry no pics of this step] Glue the template to the block and bandsaw the drawersGlue the back ..back on..Cut front and back from drawers and then cut recess from drawer carcasses and then after sanding the insides glue the back and front back on.,..then cut the outside from the main bodySand for a few hours or days and then finish with your choice of finish?
A friend at work collects shot glasses from all over the world and wanted a wall-hanging display cabinet to show them off. She asked me to build it for her out of oak to match her kitchen cabinets. Then she told me she has LOTS of glasses—probably 150 or more. We wrestled with some design issues, but decided on adjustable glass shelves rather than a lattice work type of grid for each glass. The case would have to be big and hold a lot of weight, so I decided that the case should be ...
Miter Saw Bench De Workbench Circular saw benchDe Workbench Sawhorses (Burros)De Workbench
Here is a set of monumental doors I just picked up for a song! I mean these puppies are huge! I really want to meet the burly guys who installed them hehe. They measure over 8 1/2 feet tall over 3 feet wide and the rails and stiles are 5 1/4 wide 3 1/2 inchesthick. Solid oak for the rails and stiles and the center field is curley birdseye Walnut. Seems prettyobvious its veneer but wow. Nice! I couldn’t get them out of the truck at first. Starts to make one realize how o...
Here starts something I always wanted to make. A pie crust table. This picture will give you an idea of what it will look like.. ..Now mine will have a top that looks like this one, but I plan on doing something different for the legs. I will be unique. It’s something that just came to me... Lets start with the top. I had the perfect piece of 6/4 mahogany that I have been saving for this. The problem is that it was a little too short for the diameter top I wanted to make. Here ...
Well the second class of my 10 week course is behind me. I somehow had it in my mind that we were going to make sawdust last night. Well what I forgot is this is a structured course and we needed to have a design and drawing done before we take the wood to the tools. I had mine done but once the instructor reviewed it I had to make some changes. Also there was a review of the safety and operation of the tools. We did however split the 12X6 piece we dressed last week in half and re glued it. T...
Well, I finally had some time to work on this project today. Since I just got my backsaw set up, I went to town cutting and chopping the dovetails for the drawers. I decided to change up the dovetail pattern for the large drawer sides, which really lets you know they are handcut, and not from a router and a jig. The new saw really helps out in making it a breeze to bang out these drawers. So far I have half of the dovetails done, and have some of the wood for the sides milled and aclimating i...
Getting back to the basics. Working with hand tools #4: Completed restoration on a 1917- 1918 Disston backsaw
After waiting a few weeks for the 4” double extra slim files to arrive via snail mail, the wait is finally over. I went right out to the shop to start the tedious process of filing new teeth on the blade. This was my first attempt and I must say that I was surprised to get it right. I made a simple file holder and a jig to help cut even teeth. It worked just fine, and I now have a 15 ppi rip blade with a very minor set to it. It tracks perfect, and starts the cut easily thanks to the 8 ...
Many woodworkers lack confidence in their glue joints. The way to overcome this is by getting to know your products and materials. This is accomplished by experimenting and testing – particularly through destructive testing. I continually test my off-cuts from every project. This provides a form of quality control testing that is specific to each project. In this video I show a couple of the methods that I use to test my glue joints. Testing your joints to the point of wood fa...
Well this morning I smoothed up the pieces with a quick sanding of 400 grit and then blew off all the dust and wiped down with a tack cloth. I then sprayed a finish coat of lacquer on the inside of the bed frame as well as both sides of the outer case verticals, header and head board. The only thing left to do is put a finish coat or maybe two on the outer face of the bed frame that is exposed when the bed is folded up. I was going to do that this afternoon but had a breakdown with m...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1775 entries
- dbhost - 427 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 250 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 217 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 192 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- StumpyNubs - 180 entries
- bandit571 - 173 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 161 entries
- littlecope - 153 entries
- andyboy - 151 entries
- RaggedKerf - 151 entries