A Gaggle of LJ’s I just got onto LJ tonight and found out that Scott Shangrilaw is going to the Western Design Conference, in addition to Dennis Mitchell and myself. I am pretty excited about this. It is exciting enough to get into the show, but to be in a premier venue with 2 other LJ brothers really kicks it. Are there any other LJ’s that will be going to see the show in Jackson, WY? It is Sept 6, 7 & 8. I would love to meet more LJ’s in person.
The hardest dust for me to breathe is the fine stuff that comes out of the orbital sander. I have used the Porter Cable Model 333 for about 10 years now, and have done a lot of sanding with it. I am sure there are better, more expensive sanders, but I like it, at least so far. Here is a photo showing my collection. The one I bought two years ago (gray one with yellow tinted lacquer overspray on it) is now dead, but I keep ...
Now that the Challenge 01 Table is done, I started working on the mantel again. Also to get the full story, check out part #1: Getting Started, Yesterday I re-sawed enough Brazilian Cherry to cover the top. This morning I planed them to a 1/4” thickness, & proceeded to fit the inlay. The Cherry really added some beauty to the mantel. It’s a nice contrast to the Black Ash. My Son stopped by, & was surprised that I already found a use for the flooring he gave me. ...
—————————————— UPDATE 3-28-2012:After Posting my Casket Stories and Photos, I have been overwhelmed by the response from readers. There is quite a thread of folks wanting to help in their funeral plans by building their own casket, or building one for a close friend or family member. All of this internet attention lead me to a teaching invitation at the John Campbell Folk School in the summer of 2011 on t...
Cutting the tenons and fixing the mortises. In an earlier blog I was talking about story sticks and laying out the mortise cuts for the legs. I further stated that in my reply to Bob that: “The rails at the top and bottom have a 1/4” grove cut in them to allow for plywood for the insert. The top rail ended up with a 1/2” cut for the tenons, where it touched the panel, while the bottom one had still the 1/4” cut. Why the difference. ??” Well I found out why the difference. I miscalculate...
Obi wanted to see the cherry so here it is. I got very little sleep last night not because I was working on the table but simply insomnia. I’ve got a work project that isn’t going well which was part of the reason I think. Anyway because of that I called in (well actually emailed in) that I’d be working from home today. As a result I was able to take some time mid-day and get the first coat of finish on the table. I chose amber shellac to give a little richness ...
Steam a banana in a vegetable steamer in it’s peel. Mine broke open when it was cooked. I then the took banana pulp out of peel and mashed and buttered it and added salt. It is pretty good. If anyone tries this and comes up with a tasty topping let me know. I have to rotate foods I eat so I don’t expect to get a lot of banana recipes in a string. Diane
As you know this is the last day (in CDT time) to submit your entry into the Thorsen Table Challenge. I’d like to remind you of the proper way to submit the project. The most important thing is to submit your entry as the project and not as the blog entry. Many of you have tracked your progress in the exciting blog series. But at the end you must add your table as the project too (and don’t forget to link back to your blog series from the project story to make it easy for other...
This end result is a nice little side table, but I must confess, it is not up to my standards. It will make a nice table along side the couch. I’m finishing in haste to get the subscription to PW, but I will continue my challenge and improve this table more at a later date. My son (age 3) loves to hang out in the woodshop, so he can help me. Bottom line, the baby girl goes to the doctor on time, I get my challenge finished, and my son gets to help me finish it next week! Legs, si...
I trusted that the bit for my pocket hole jig was correctly set. I was wrong. When I attached the top to the sides and legs, here is the result. I like the way the table looks, but the holes on top are enough to make me pull out my dwindling hairs. As a result, I had to resort to nailing the top to the legs in order to finish the contest and take my little angel to the doctor.UGH! The smaller holes are from the brad nailer.
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1316 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 145 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- clieb91 - 143 entries
- Blake - 141 entries
- Eric - 139 entries
- littlecope - 135 entries
- GaryK - 131 entries
- RaggedKerf - 130 entries
- thewoodwhisperer - 127 entries